Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mic Les Referées

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So this isn't a transfer rumour for a new French RB, then?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This should be instituted immediately. Why is this resisted so strongly?

Rugby referees are hugely respected because of the insights you get into how they are managing the game and some justification of their decision making. (ok, they're better as well I grant you)

Players have a strong incentive not to call ref's a ******* ******** **** every 2 minutes, as they know transcripts will be published and clips played online.

Above all it is just increases transparency; vital at a time when, let's honest, things whiff a bit

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
It makes total sense to mic them, if I'm not mistaken they already do it in rugby

Dec 29, 2011
This is the future. It will make referees accountable for their decisions, reduce the disrespect shown from players and allow the quality, levelheaded refs become known to the fans and demanded.

The only reason this isn't in place yet is because refereeing in this country is a corrupt boys club that akin to the unions of the 70s.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The players would absolutely hate it for the referees to get mic'd. A large proportion of them would come across as utter bellends. I suspect that is part of the problem.

Reactions: SAC

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The players would absolutely hate it for the referees to get mic'd. A large proportion of them would come across as utter bellends. I suspect that is part of the problem.
I remember that infamous clip of Tony Adams calling David Elleray an "f###in cheat" at Millwall. Apparently, the Arsenal players didn't even know he was mic'd up!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Mick Le Referee :thumbsup:

23018324-0-image-a-101_1578245314577.jpg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I remember that infamous clip of Tony Adams calling David Elleray an "f###in cheat" at Millwall. Apparently, the Arsenal players didn't even know he was mic'd up!
I remember a ref sending off James McFadden for Everton for calling him a “f***ing cheat”. McFadden’s defence afterwards was that he actually said “f***ing c**t”.

Which of course makes all the difference.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A follow up

Seem to be a lot of positive response. But to me that highlights the pointlessness of it - all that ref has done is explain what the law is and pointed out what can be seen on the video. As far as I'm concerned, it isn't or shouldnt be, the ref's job to educate fans and players on the laws of the game.

Last edited:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I think it's a good idea, although I would worry about turning refs into even bigger TV personalities. D!ckheads like Clattenburg want to be as famous as the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here