Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mental health: Ian Hart on lockdown and solitude

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I used to frequently be kept at bedtime by negative thoughts swirling round my head.
I was introduced to a simple idea that has massively helped.
Think of five Albion players (or test cricketers or whatever) with surnames starting with a, then b, then c etc.
It takes some practice but in time you are able to block any other thoughts entering your head. It helps if you combine it by taking deep, slow breaths.
You soon drop off.
This technique has improved my sleep by 90%.
I did that for several years with great success (Atherton, Botham, Cowdrey, Dexter, Edrich, Flintoff, etc :) ) but have recently got into the habit of listening to something on my phone instead. The listening to the phone obviously has drawbacks. I'm going to try turning my phone off tonight and go back to the old system using 5 x Albion footballers...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Big credit to Harty for that, extremely honest and very good advice for all but especially for the NSC / Albion community.

Yes, Al and Ady, get him on again.

On a personal note the last piece of advice is very poignant. I have a friend I go to games with who has recently separated from his wife. He has the kids alternate weekends and the family dog most of the time but is otherwise totally on his own. We text, message or call pretty much every day and constantly during games. He recently confessed it was helping to keep him going. Not a conscious choice on my part either or with any knowledge of loneliness. As far as I was concerned I was just exchanging covid jokes, Potter opinion and random shit about our kids who are also good mates.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well done Ian. It was good to talk on Friday. I miss your bullshit on the radio btw

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I’m not sure exactly what you like about the gym but if it’s aerobic exercise have you considered running as an alternative? There’s a running thread on NSC where you can get advice, encouragement and a sense of community plus a NSC runners group on Strava for a further feeling of community. Just a thought.

Unfortunately marathons when I was overweight took a toll on my knee, nothing irreparable but I need to lose weight before I run again.
I’m 19 stone, although if you looked at me you’d member guess I was, I enjoy my weight training mad stuff.
I’m getting through it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Great honesty matey

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I used to frequently be kept at bedtime by negative thoughts swirling round my head.
Think of five Albion players (or test cricketers or whatever) with surnames starting with a, then b, then c etc.
It takes some practice but in time you are able to block any other thoughts entering your head. It helps if you combine it by taking deep, slow breaths.
You soon drop off.

I have a similar game where you have to try to complete a full alphabet of footballers/actors/musicians etc whose first and last names both start with a single letter. Andy Ansah, Basil Boli, Chris Coleman etc...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I did that for several years with great success (Atherton, Botham, Cowdrey, Dexter, Edrich, Flintoff, etc :) ) but have recently got into the habit of listening to something on my phone instead. The listening to the phone obviously has drawbacks. I'm going to try turning my phone off tonight and go back to the old system using 5 x Albion footballers...

I tried that with beautiful models and actress but I could never roll over or settle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You soon drop off.

Some people have told us they go to sleep listening to our show.

I take it as a compliment.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Some people have told us they go to sleep listening to our show.

I take it as a compliment.

Guilty ! And that’s no reflection on your great show and other Albion broadcasts .
I think the trick is not to think of any problems on your mind .
Nothing got solved at 3 in the morning

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I thought that was a really, really great listen. Hats off to Harty for being so honest, candid and upfront about things. From a personal point of view, 2020 was the year I started to suffer some mental health issues of my own - totally out of the blue. I didn’t really have a big support network in terms of friends I thought I could turn to, but I did start private therapy very quickly (after a really useful appointment with my GP). Therapy has certainly made a difference to me. I personally found it very useful to a) have someone totally dispassionate to talk to about things, who understood everything you said (without having to explain any context or background) and b) actually learning a lot more about how the brain functions in terms of negative thinking and intrusive thoughts.

In case anyone else is struggling, I’d strongly recommend having a chat with your GP in the first instance and then pursuing therapy if you’re able to. I’m always happy to PM anyone who is struggling.

I had a very similar experience also during 2020. Lockdown coincided with my son moving out and my daughter going to Uni. I am also working from home and suddenly started to feel really isolated and alone. Luckily my wife was very supportive, and I was also able to access some NHS Mental health talking therapy via my GP.

Had quite a few sessions all via zoom but it helped me to retrain my thoughts a little and to take a more positive view.. I try harder to ensure I keep in touch with people certainly better than I was, but as I am still working at home there is still that feeling of isolation. I think things will be better when the weather improves and it is less dark and dreary, but if you have the same issues give the GP (not Graham Potter he has enough problems) a call.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can I just add a quick tip, if I may, for those who feel that drinking is starting to rule them rather than just something to be enjoyed from time to time?

I got in a place whereby I was starting to question how often and why I drunk. I'd just started on the Couch to 5k lark and luckily saw an App called "Drink Free Days" by the OneYou programme run by the wonderful NHS.

On this App you record, as it says on the tin, Drink Free Days. It's just a handy reminder of how frequently your drinking without the admin of recording every drink. This has helped me recognise how many days I was drinking but, more importantly, as a competitive sole, it's allowed me to set Drink Free Days and I'm now challenging myself against last years total and the year before.

It's no silver bullet and just one of many tools, and no substitute for professional support.

Just to reiterate [MENTION=3666]lenny[/MENTION]rider 's words, it's so important to talk and there are many here prepared to do so, me included, just DM .... please!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here