Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MegaBus Trains - Anyone used 'em?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I've just booked a train ticket from megabus.com and so I've got a number to present to the guard, rather than an actual ticket. Has anyone else done this and does it work?

I'm worried the guard's gonna come up to me wanting a ticket, I'll show him a really long number, and he'll say 'what the f*** is that, that's not a ticket?!'
???

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If you go into the help section, you'll see this

Do I get a ticket?
Our services are ticket-less and can only be purchased from our website or our telephone booking centre. When you make a reservation on our service you will be given a reservation number. Take this with you and present it to any member of staff from your carrier company who requests to see it.

Calm down.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
not personally but i have seen people on the waterloo - yeovil/exeter line do it all the time.

some of them just show the guard their mobile phone screen which has the number i assume, the guard dude never bats an eyelid.

From their website ...

What does a megatrain look like?

For customers travelling on services operated by South West Trains Ltd, there will be a designated carriage shown by megatrain distinctive branding as used throughout this site.

Presumably you have to sit in a designated carriage and the ticket inspector will know to treat you as a cheapskate without a proper ticket, but a right to be there.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Presumably you have to sit in a designated carriage and the ticket inspector will know to treat you as a cheapskate without a proper ticket, but a right to be there.

:lol:

My return trip (on the bus this time cos there's no train) is FREE! What kind of way is that to run a business?!

Thank you kind people for setting my mind at ease :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do STH's have a priority for these megatrain tickets ? :angry:

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
What would stop someone sharing their number with everyone, who then just shows it to the guard

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I used the Megatrain a few years back. There was plans for a strike on the day I was meant to travel so they refunded me my ticket, but then the strike was called off. Thought I was buggered, but then they said that my original ticket was valid, so I got to travel for free!!!

Quite a slow journey mind, but very cheap!!!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've just booked a train ticket from megabus.com and so I've got a number to present to the guard, rather than an actual ticket. Has anyone else done this and does it work?

I'm worried the guard's gonna come up to me wanting a ticket, I'll show him a really long number, and he'll say 'what the f*** is that, that's not a ticket?!'
???

How did this work out?
Can I just show him the email on my blower as I don't have a printer ???

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Used megabus trains plenty of times from London to Nottingham. Cheaper price but exactly the same time (east midlands trains), no different to purchasing a ticket through east midlands trains/any other provider as the service you end up with is identical (on that route anyway!).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Used megabus trains plenty of times from London to Nottingham. Cheaper price but exactly the same time (east midlands trains), no different to purchasing a ticket through east midlands trains/any other provider as the service you end up with is identical (on that route anyway!).

I have just bought our Forest tickets through them :moo:

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
How did this work out?
Can I just show him the email on my blower as I don't have a printer ???

Yep, doesn't even need to be that - in the past I've just written the code onto a piece of paper and used that. The guard has a list of codes with him/her, so as long as they can match your number to one of theirs then they're happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here