Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There we go. A solid example of what I've been talking about. People here couldn't really give a shit when they see Keir Starmer spending most of PMQs probing about decorating and curtains. What they do care about is the all too rare occurrence of a politician delivering on their promises. And with the plaster ripped off for a lot of people here when it comes to voting Tory, they're now a lot more savvy and open-minded when it comes to choosing where their cross in the box goes. By no means am I saying that these traditional Labour areas won't swing back that way in the short-medium term, but it's somewhere where the party really needs to pull its socks up and show some fighting spirit. In the 2019 election, Corbyn and his top team essentially ignored the North East, assuming it was a done deal, whilst Boris visited probably a dozen times during the campaign.

Which harks back to what I said last week . . .The Tories know how to win , labour don't

they play different games.

most people will vote locally and for what directly affects them, hence what we've seen on a very local basis with green councillor, hoping to make a difference in our town.

I've no idea who our Mayor is!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Which harks back to what I said last week . . .The Tories know how to win , labour don't

they play different games.

most people will vote locally and for what directly affects them, hence what we've seen on a very local basis with green councillor, hoping to make a difference in our town.

I've no idea who our Mayor is!

You don’t have one. At least not one with the powers held by Ben Houchen in Tees Valley or Andy Burnham in Greater Manchester.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If the Unions get their way and force Labour to the hard left again to please the metropolitan luvvies there's no chance they will get back in ignoring the core vote or what was the core vote the working men and women

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The 'core working class' 'unionist workers' etc is dead. As has been said they're all dropping off like flies and many of the unions have been redundant for years due to EU law anyway.

give it another ten years and it may be different, we are regressing so will probably be back in the 50's by then.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought she had been sacked?

Angela Rayner:

Deputy Leader of the Labour Party
Shadow First Secretary of State
Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office
Shadow Secretary of State for the Future of Work

And a tea-time teaser.... without looking it up, can anyone name the Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department? A clue, they have been in post since April 2020.

And I am pleased to see Lisa Nandy has avoided the night of the blunt knives.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
PCC election. The one I always spoil my ballot paper for.

This year I'm writing 'Jackie Weaver' on it.

You little scamp...

Screenshot_20210510-155806.png

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I believe that there is a By-election set for Batley and Spen with a Labour Maj of around 3,500. So get your excuses ready.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here