Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay one-on-one: Handball?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think it hits his shin and spins up in the air. It's unclear if it deflects from his shin onto his arm. I've looked at it frame by frame several times and its very hard to distinguish.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well there were numerous questionable decisions from the refs last night, but eventually got the most important one right and with three points in the bag I really cant bother much about the other stuff.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I think it hits his shin and spins up in the air. It's unclear if it deflects from his shin onto his arm. I've looked at it frame by frame several times and its very hard to distinguish.

Really looks like his hand behind him but the highlights don’t show it clearly enough. Just surprised there was no shout from Maupay. Either way he should have done much better.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I don't think during the game there was any slowmo of the incident. At the end of the day we got the 3 points so alls good.:albion2:5

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really looks like his hand behind him but the highlights don’t show it clearly enough. Just surprised there was no shout from Maupay. Either way he should have done much better.

Harsh. Maybe should’ve taken it round him but it was fantastic alert keeping. At least Maups hit the target. I reckon he looked up and suddenly there was this huge keeper there!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Harsh. Maybe should’ve taken it round him but it was fantastic alert keeping. At least Maups hit the target. I reckon he looked up and suddenly there was this huge keeper there!

It's not really harsh. If it's on target and has hit his hand then it's a sending off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's not really harsh. If it's on target and has hit his hand then it's a sending off.

I meant the poster saying Maupay should have done much better!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As the keeper made the challenge with his feet, his arms were only used to brace himself. Therefore the law states not handball.

not handball when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I watched that one back and wondered if it was handball. It didn't touch his hand or arm though.

I'm guessing that's the sticking point.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It was saved by his hand as it turned out, as this very fuzzy image shows:
Capture.JPG.

Not sure how to interpret that in terms of the rules though - he was clearly trying to save it with his feet.

we'll give him the benefit of the doubt. there were so many more dubious decisions in that game like the elbow in the throat which went unpunished etc

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve watched that replay so many times now and everytime I find myself shouting at Maupay for not taking it round Martinez! It was just begging for him to do that. So frustrating.

Great play by Webster and Welbeck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here