Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Matt Prior on the warpath

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Is that Andrew's reasoning behind Salt leaving? His Wikipedia biog has no links to Manchester ...

Probably just a Man U supporter.

City, actually !
He lived in Manchester before moving to Barbados when he was a boy, and has family there.
Andrew said he and Jordan wanted a change of scene.
IMHO, neither of those moves necessarily points to there being deep problems at Sussex.
A less dramatic explanation would be a widening gap between the test ground (or 100) counties and the others.
The Richard Halsall email quoted by Gwylan, does point to problems though.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
City, actually !
He lived in Manchester before moving to Barbados when he was a boy, and has family there.
Andrew said he and Jordan wanted a change of scene.
IMHO, neither of those moves necessarily points to there being deep problems at Sussex.
A less dramatic explanation would be a widening gap between the test ground (or 100) counties and the others.
The Richard Halsall email quoted by Gwylan, does point to problems though.

Yes Salt did want a change of scene but only because Sussex were going nowhere

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yes Salt did want a change of scene but only because Sussex were going nowhere

If bissouma signed for PSG would that mean Albion are going nowhere ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If bissouma signed for PSG would that mean Albion are going nowhere ?

Completely irrelevant to Salt situation. Any player would sign for one of big football clubs. Salt did not want to play in a non competitive side where possibility of him been one of very few senior players

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This hurts me more than Albion, seeing Sussex struggling. But I have taken the view that a period of mediocre seasons may be a result of all sorts of financial pressures. Covid will have hit the non-Test counties hard. We seems to have a cricketing apartheid now. I'm not aware of any debt.

Someone on the circuit, who should know better, told me of some issues at the club. When I asked them about the Q source it turned out it was hearsay. That winds me up and I made it clear to them to stop spreading stuff they know nothing of.

If Matt has concerns he shouldn't be so cryptic. Rob Andrew has perhaps made mistakes on the playing side and he seems to have been open about it. I'm fine with that. The club being financially sound is my biggest concern at this time. I like seeing the kids playing and growing as a group- if they are able to cope with the pressures of the Twitterati Trolls etc.

But as for other stuff, I know nothing. None of us do really. And I wonder how much Matt saying this stuff is helping either. It just fuels unenlightened debate and people making claims they can't back up.

I was told of the recent departures before they happened by a reliable Q. They said it was due to Sussex not being able or willing to pay high wages. Other stuff, I know nothing and won't speculate.

The thing that hurts the most is how cricket itself is not the game it once was. I bought into the 20/20 thing, but it's going further and getting silly now.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Completely irrelevant to Salt situation. Any player would sign for one of big football clubs. Salt did not want to play in a non competitive side where possibility of him been one of very few senior players

Is there any interview where he has said that?
He may well have gone even if Sussex were doing better. Lancs are a bigger club and he has personal reasons for wanting to be there. Test ground counties are dominating now more than ever. They will increasingly hoover up talents from smaller counties.
I am as frustrated as you seem to be about how uncompetitive Sussex have become. I just don’t buy into all the empty noise and drama that the likes of matt prior trot out. The demise is a lot more complicated than one man’s (andrew’s) failings.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He may well have gone even if Sussex were doing better. Lancs are a bigger club and he has personal reasons for wanting to be there. Test ground counties are dominating now more than ever. They will increasingly hoover up talents from smaller counties.
I am as frustrated as you seem to be about how uncompetitive Sussex have become. I just don’t buy into all the empty noise and drama that the likes of matt prior trot out. The demise is a lot more complicated than one man’s (andrew’s) failings.

He has not and will not say that in an interview. Why would he, he has done well with Sussex and has a lot to be thankful to them for. At a time when he wants to progress his career just a pity standard of side has become a farce

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My biggest complaint last season was that there were just 2 first team men's games in Sussex in August (2 Royal London matches at Hove).

With people emerging from lockdown that being the sum offering of the summer game was disgraceful.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apparently Prior is working, with others, on orchestrating a vote of ‘No confidence’ at AGM. Maybe this is his opening shot?

A young bowler from Worthing was on the staff for a couple of years, when he departed his Dad, not a typical ‘pushy sporting parent’ was quite scathing about the goings on at Hove, predominately Greenfield and his input at the club.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Agree. Surely it all comes down to lack of money until at least the redevelopment? Perhaps I'm naive but it looks to me like a club that's skint trying to make the most of some talented youngsters to get them through.

Not ideal but not every sports club has a local billionaire to help out in hard times sadly.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So angry that he won’t just say.
He’s a strange person.

Yes, one wonders why he seems to have such an axe to grind with the county after all the success he had with them. Something has happened involving him behind the scenes l fancy. Sad though that a former legend of the county has found the need to put his feelings into print .

As much as l rate Chris Jordan, (one of the finest fielders in world cricket today in my opinion), he won't be too much of a loss as Sussex rarely get to see him anyway, and Surrey will have exactly the same problem.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agree. Surely it all comes down to lack of money until at least the redevelopment? Perhaps I'm naive but it looks to me like a club that's skint trying to make the most of some talented youngsters to get them through.

Not ideal but not every sports club has a local billionaire to help out in hard times sadly.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Then the club needs to puts its cards on the table, be honest with the members and supporters and spend its money more wisely, in particular re T20. It needs to communicate.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I love SCCC and have been watching them since the late 1970’s but I’ve never been interested in the politics.
It seems to me that cricket supporters are willing to go with the flow unlike football fans. I just don’t see why Sussex should change when no one stands up to them, willing to do anything about it. I for one, hate to see our best players leave. I understand the test counties having an advantage but 20/20, the hundred and dare I say it the T10 version of the game has generated massive interest from non cricket fans. There must be a massive opportunity for a cash rich area such as Sussex to make the most of the current cricketing success nationally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here