Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mathew Sorinola

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
I know you are no fan of our club and are only here as the Potter fanboy but suggesting that Mr Chairman is "abusing the system" is a step too far.

That's the kind of comment I would only expect from the thickos up the road.

You have heard about the internet and the way it operates haven't you? That kind of rumour and speculation can quickly get out of hand.

Present evidence that Mr Chairman is "abusing the system" or retract and apologise.

Bit Strong!!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Isnt it pretty clear if you read it?

It is a rumour - "a source has exclusively revealed to Football League World" - and if the rumour is true, he is signing for Brighton but going on loan to Union - "will play for Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in 2021/22 in Belgium before linking up with Brighton from 2022 onwards".

edit: Apparently might be a wee bit more complicated with TB possibly abusing the system a little bit.

I know you are no fan of our club and are only here as the Potter fanboy but suggesting that Mr Chairman is "abusing the system" is a step too far.

You have heard about the internet and the way it operates haven't you? That kind of rumour and speculation can quickly get out of hand.

Present evidence that Mr Chairman is "abusing the system" or retract and apologise.

Bit Strong!!

Agreed.

There are plenty of qualifiers in there if you choose to read them:
"Apparently"
"Might be a wee bit"
"Possibly" abusing the system a "wee bit"

It's hardly a hard accusation of impropriety requiring getting all haughty.

Jeeeeez.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There

come-quietly-or-there-will-be-trouble.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That promotion for USG has turned out to be a bigger deal for the Albion than most people realise.

Now they are in the Belgian top flight we are in a position to offer a high standard of loan football to would-be signings, as well as maybe making a bit of cash along the way.

Man Utd had a 15 year tie-up with Royal Antwerp, and despite them being in the second tier for most of that time they still fed through some decent players through the Belgian route: Tom Heaton, Jonny Evans, Phil Bardsley, John O'Shea, Ryan Shawcross,, Danny Simpson, Fraizer Campbell, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Luke Chadwick, Danny Higginbotham, Craig Cathcart.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Right ... i'm going to come out and say it .... I don't like it.

Yes, it's great for Brighton, but is this type of arrangement good for football? I don't think so.

I don't believe one person should be able to own more than one club. Didn't like it when Watford did it, and many others. An informal friendship is fine.

A football club should be it's own entity. It shouldn't exist to benefit a larger richer club. The word club is important here. It exists for the enjoyment and benefit of it's fans. The owners are only passing through. We've had this re-confirmed recently.

The way i'd look at it, is to ask you all ...."if we had the chance to be the vassal club of say, Real Madrid would you take that chance?" We'd get decent players on loan and we'd probably get up the league, but we'd lose our independence. I reckon 95% would say no. If that's the case, why would you support doing it to USG?

It also served to widen an cement the gulf between the haves and have nots.

Not a fan of this

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Crikey Tony, calm down

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Yes, it's great for Brighton, but is this type of arrangement good for football? I don't think so.

I don't believe one person should be able to own more than one club. Didn't like it when Watford did it, and many others. An informal friendship is fine.

A football club should be it's own entity. It shouldn't exist to benefit a larger richer club. The word club is important here. It exists for the enjoyment and benefit of it's fans. The owners are only passing through. We've had this re-confirmed recently.

The way i'd look at it, is to ask you all ...."if we had the chance to be the vassal club of say, Real Madrid would you take that chance?" We'd get decent players on loan and we'd probably get up the league, but we'd lose our independence. I reckon 95% would say no. If that's the case, why would you support doing it to USG?

Not a fan of this

I hardly think comparing us as a vassal club to RM is a fair comparison.

Lamptey signed for us to get regular first team football. Players go out on loan all the time to lower league teams and now, more and more, overseas to get regular football.

I'm sure no USG fan is complaining with the quality of the signings after their promotion to the top flight for the first time in 48 years

SAC

May 21, 2014

Not a fan of this

UEFA were supposed to be bringing in a new rule to stop the excessive number of loans between clubs but seem to have gone very quiet on the subject. I presume that it isn't happening now, which is a real shame.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hardly think comparing us as a vassal club to RM is a fair comparison.

Lamptey signed for us to get regular first team football. Players go out on loan all the time to lower league teams and now, more and more, overseas to get regular football.

I'm sure no USG fan is complaining with the quality of the signings after their promotion to the top flight for the first time in 48 years

It's an identical comparison.

The question is how would we feel if we no longer had our independence in exchange for better loan players.

I wouldn't go for it

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's an identical comparison.

The question is how would we feel if we no longer had our independence in exchange for better loan players.

I wouldn't go for it

So you are saying that the PL is far lower in quality vs La Liga and the same comparison between the PL and Belgian 1st Div.

Erm, OK. Matter of opinion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Going all wild and crazy here...

That promotion for USG has turned out to be a bigger deal for the Albion than most people realise.

Now they are in the Belgian top flight we are in a position to offer a high standard of loan football to would-be signings, as well as maybe making a bit of cash along the way.

Man Utd had a 15 year tie-up with Royal Antwerp, and despite them being in the second tier for most of that time they still fed through some decent players through the Belgian route: Tom Heaton, Jonny Evans, Phil Bardsley, John O'Shea, Ryan Shawcross,, Danny Simpson, Fraizer Campbell, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Luke Chadwick, Danny Higginbotham, Craig Cathcart.

Some of these names suggests "whatever you do, dont send them to Belgium". Couple of successfull ones but also quite a few "lost super talents".

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Some of these names suggests "whatever you do, dont send them to Belgium". Couple of successfull ones but also quite a few "lost super talents".

Tom Heaton, Jonny Evans, Phil Bardsley, John O'Shea, Ryan Shawcross,, Danny Simpson, Fraizer Campbell, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Luke Chadwick, Danny Higginbotham, Craig Cathcart.

Apart from Luke Chadwick all of those players had careers in a first team in the Premier League. Our academy, though young, would be a wonderful success if it were able to bring through that amount of young players to top flight football via a Belgian pathway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe someone here was saying since Mr Bloom bought the club, the infrastructure has dramatically changed (sound familiar).

The club is now very much a professional football team.

Gotta wonder who else would be heavily investing in a Belgium div 2 side if not our Tone?

I'd like to know what the Union fans think of the link before calling it bad, although I doubt now would be the most objective time to ask.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I believe someone here was saying since Mr Bloom bought the club, the infrastructure has dramatically changed (sound familiar).

The club is now very much a professional football team.

Gotta wonder who else would be heavily investing in a Belgium div 2 side if not our Tone?

I'd like to know what the Union fans think of the link before calling it bad, although I doubt now would be the most objective time to ask.

Being promoted to the top Div after 48 years, most fans would be very happy you'd think, with a few 'Bloom Out'ers posting crap about Johnny Foreigner owning their club.

Totally different to the NSC of course.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tom Heaton, Jonny Evans, Phil Bardsley, John O'Shea, Ryan Shawcross,, Danny Simpson, Fraizer Campbell, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Luke Chadwick, Danny Higginbotham, Craig Cathcart.

Apart from Luke Chadwick all of those players had careers in a first team in the Premier League. Our academy, though young, would be a wonderful success if it were able to bring through that amount of young players to top flight football via a Belgian pathway.

Sure, a lot of them turned out well but few of them (and the other 30 or so United shipped to Antwerp) turned into anything comparable with the previous United generation, or the recent for that matter. There's plenty of reasons their partnership ended, like English clubs finally acknowledging that it might be a good idea to take their youth development into the 21st century (meaning its often wiser to keep your players in the club or loan them to lower divisions). And of course the change in Belgian citizenship laws, which was the main reason both Arsenal and United got intimate with Belgian clubs to begin with.

That said, I think USG will be a nice alternative to the road for some players. Different players got different needs and its nice with another pathway.

Dont think they will turn into a straight up farmer club though, but it makes all the sense in the world that TB allow the club to use Brightons scouting resources to sign players etc. From what I read on their forum they all seem very happy with Tony, I believe they were facing a very dark future when he bought (or got?) it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sure, a lot of them turned out well but few of them (and the other 30 or so United shipped to Antwerp) turned into anything comparable with the previous United generation, or the recent for that matter. There's plenty of reasons their partnership ended, like English clubs finally acknowledging that it might be a good idea to take their youth development into the 21st century (meaning its often wiser to keep your players in the club or loan them to lower divisions).

If you look at the careers 10 or 11 of those players had in the Premier League that represents a lot of value in today's money.

I think the Belgian top flight is the perfect mid point between the Prem matchday squad and the Under 23s.

Crucially, by having this tie-up on the continent the Albion can steal a march on other clubs sniffing around young talent, making signing outside of the UK window, as this Sorinola business shows.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So you are saying that the PL is far lower in quality vs La Liga and the same comparison between the PL and Belgian 1st Div.

Erm, OK. Matter of opinion.
Not saying anything of the sort. Re-read, apply a modicum of thought and come back to me if you're still struggling

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here