Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Chapman gets the MOTD2 gig

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Chappers is a far better presenter.

I agree with this. He seems to have more of a punter's brain than a pundit, seems to ask the questions I'd want to ask; when he presents the 5Live investigative reports (cycling, wasted footballer careers etc), he's in his element.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I can't watch Colin Murray - it is fast forward when they are not showing the actual football. Those stupid cartoon things before the games ? Just show the football - no-one is interested in your personality. Amazing how far a regional accent can take you.

"Chappers" is no better mind. Can they not find a presenter who does not need to be mates with the experts ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm still waiting for the day when James Richardson gets the gig - he's by far the best football presented I've seen - knowing more about football than the BBC punditry and presenting team put together, and has a fantastic style which is equally able to take football seriously but not allow pompous over-reaction to what is, after all, a game into punditry. He would tear BBC pundits to part with sarcasm if they offered up their lame common sense brand of non-expertise ("they had better tactics", "none of us know anything about Slovenia")on one of his shows.

If thre is no-one else - then let it be Jimbo.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Glad Murray is leaving - he is very irritating, knowing little about football beyond the Top 4 and whoever happens to be in vogue at any given moment. The popularity of Fighting Talk baffles me - lots of bring pundits saying things which are at best mildly amusing, with Murray in constant forced hysterics.

Chapman is equally uninspiring though. I'm still waiting for the day when James Richardson gets the gig - he's by far the best football presented I've seen - knowing more about football than the BBC punditry and presenting team put together, and has a fantastic style which is equally able to take football seriously but not allow pompous over-reaction to what is, after all, a game into punditry. He would tear BBC pundits to part with sarcasm if they offered up their lame common sense brand of non-expertise ("they had better tactics", "none of us know anything about Slovenia")on one of his shows.

Admittedly I have only ever seen him on Kicking Off(?) - the Monday night local football magazine show - but James Richardson had the most arrogant, annoying presenting style I can remember. It's also true that he had two terrible pundits across the sofa but, based on that programme alone, he is awful!

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Now the chap in the Telegraph REALLY doesn't like Colin Murray!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9819788/Colin-Murray-is-not-just-irritating-and-irrelevant-he-is-a-very-bad-presenter.html[/URL]ml

Jimmy Grimble

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I quite like Colin Murray but, for me, it's all about the pundits. Hansen's put-down of Nevin over the Rooney 'penalty-that-never-was' against Spurs tells you everything you need to know about what's really wrong with that show. He didn't have to agree with it but Hansen - with his air of infallibity - couldn't even SEE Nevin's point about Rooney kicking the Spurs defender before he fell.

The show still comes up with the odd gem - the footage of Wilshere's dismay and arm-waving as his Arsenal teammates failed to press Chelsea in the 1st half told the story of why they went in at half-time 2-0 down.

The bottom line is that there was a time when BBC looked good compared to Sky's Richard Keys and Andy Gray. Since Sky have ditched these idiots they've upped their game and the Beeb have failed to respond in kind. Bringing in Chapman won't change that, getting rid of Hansen, Lawro and Shearer just might.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dan Walker would have been a good shout, too. I've always found him good value on Football Focus.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I quite like Colin Murray but, for me, it's all about the pundits. Hansen's put-down of Nevin over the Rooney 'penalty-that-never-was' against Spurs tells you everything you need to know about what's really wrong with that show. He didn't have to agree with it but Hansen - with his air of infallibity - couldn't even SEE Nevin's point about Rooney kicking the Spurs defender before he fell.

The show still comes up with the odd gem - the footage of Wilshere's dismay and arm-waving as his Arsenal teammates failed to press Chelsea in the 1st half told the story of why they went in at half-time 2-0 down.

The bottom line is that there was a time when BBC looked good compared to Sky's Richard Keys and Andy Gray. Since Sky have ditched these idiots they've upped their game and the Beeb have failed to respond in kind. Bringing in Chapman won't change that, getting rid of Hansen, Lawro and Shearer just might.

Know what you mean. I like Hansen, but the 100% confidence that from all angles Rooney couldn't have been tackled fairly, or seen to have been in real time, seemed arrogant.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And in contrast to this, I really like his manner and his style. He is relaxed, but cares about football and has good banter with the guests. I think his departure will weaken the show, especially considering how bland Mark Chapman is. I'm disappointed Colin Murray is leaving.

Agree with this. Chapman is bland and boring. Much prefer Murray's style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here