Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Marcus Rashford opened up his body"... Really?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never understood this thing about someone who gets his shot away having "almost zero backlift". WTF is that all about ? Everyone draws a leg back to take a shot.

Similarly this bobbins when a shot goes over the bar that he was "leaning back" - no, he wasn't. He's just got spoons for boots and poor technique. Leaning back has f*ck all to do with it. They're not plastic Subbuteo corner-takers.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Maybe slightly off topic but I'm always slightly annoyed by someone being "on a hat trick" when they've scored two goals, and yet you're only "on a yellow card" after being booked.

For consistency surely you're "on a red card" after receiving your yellow.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've never understood this thing about someone who gets his shot away having "almost zero backlift". WTF is that all about ? Everyone draws a leg back to take a shot.

Similarly this bobbins when a shot goes over the bar that he was "leaning back" - no, he wasn't. He's just got spoons for boots and poor technique. Leaning back has f*ck all to do with it. They're not plastic Subbuteo corner-takers.

I'm old enough to remember when players shot. Now they "get their shot away", with four extra syllables for the commentators to deal with.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Something that irrationally pisses me off is when players are asked a question that is going to get a positive reply, yet they start their sentance with "No, yeah....".

Yeah, no, he put his laces through it.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
From the BBC website report. Presumably opening up your body is followed by a surgical strike.

This is one of dozens of clichés of footballing reportage, along with dropping the shoulder, and making yourself big (goalkeepers only). Making yourself small is of course mandatory after missing a sitter.

Any more?

It was quoted from the TV commentary when the goal was replayed. I think because it was so simple, Rashford didn't have a lot to do, the commentator opted for "he opened up his body". It stood out because the slo motion replay seemed to emphasise the non-story in the "opened up his body" comment. To be fair there weren't many.options on commentators buzzword bingo card for that goal, the interest was really in the cross.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here