Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manager of the Season 22-23

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
According to the Premier League Website, there appear to be 39 separate people who have been manager (or caretaker manager) during this season so far.

Who do you think should be challenging Roberto as Manager of the Season (it obviously should go to RdZ for his revolutionary style of play)?

I am not including Pep in my list because City have not been vintage in the PL this season, and even Southampton might win a game or two with Haaland.

My shortlist would be:

Thomas Frank - Brentford - I think they were people's favourite's for relegation, so he has done a fantastic job getting them almost challenging for Euro places
Unai Emery - Aston Villa - Took a relegation threatened team under Stevie G to the verge of Europe
Mikel Arteta - Arsenal - has got them challenging again for the first time since Wenger - but probably will fall at the final hurdle.

Perhaps controversially, I would also include:

Eddie Howe - Newcastle - I suspect many people may disagree, but I thought the Saudis would have been itching to get a fashionable manager in there, but he has delivered for them.

and an honourable mention to:

Frank Lampard - Everton/Chelsea - Left Everton in a better position than they now are, and has restored the consistency to Chelsea they were lacking under Potter (i.e. lose every game, rather than every other one).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Chelsea or Leeds fans could have a vote for their own teams Manager of the Season

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
According to the Premier League Website, there appear to be 39 separate people who have been manager (or caretaker manager) during this season so far.

Who do you think should be challenging Roberto as Manager of the Season (it obviously should go to RdZ for his revolutionary style of play)?

I am not including Pep in my list because City have not been vintage in the PL this season, and even Southampton might win a game or two with Haaland.

My shortlist would be:

Thomas Frank - Brentford - I think they were people's favourite's for relegation, so he has done a fantastic job getting them almost challenging for Euro places
Unai Emery - Aston Villa - Took a relegation threatened team under Stevie G to the verge of Europe
Mikel Arteta - Arsenal - has got them challenging again for the first time since Wenger - but probably will fall at the final hurdle.

Perhaps controversially, I would also include:

Eddie Howe - Newcastle - I suspect many people may disagree, but I thought the Saudis would have been itching to get a fashionable manager in there, but he has delivered for them.

and an honourable mention to:

Frank Lampard - Everton/Chelsea - Left Everton in a better position than they now are, and has restored the consistency to Chelsea they were lacking under Potter (i.e. lose every game, rather than every other one).

The three promoted clubs, Leeds and Saints had shorter odds than Brentford to be relegated.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Arteta and Howe but neither close to what RDZ has done and Eddie’s team has bought CL football…

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Emery for me - how he quickly turned around a team heading for relegation to a team that could finish 5th is phenomenal and he does is whilst playing Tyron Mings!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If Man City win the treble then it has to be Guardiola.

Other runners, IMO, are:

Arteta: Although with how their title challenge has folded in the last few weeks his chances are diminishing. If they somehow manage to come back and win the league then the award is his.

Howe: He's taken a team that wouldn't look out of place in mid/lower mid table and turned them into a top four team with the best defence in the league. It is an impressive achievement.

RDZ: if we finish 5th or 6th then he's got to be a strong contender. Especially when you consider the style in which we've gone about things.

Emery: same as RDZ, if he gets Villa to 5th or 6th then he's in with a shout.

Frank: A long shot but he has done an excellent job again with Brentford.

O'Neill: It's unlikely he'll get it, these kind of awards always seem to go to the players/managers to the top but what he's done this season is remarkable. Bournemouth were probably every ones favourites to go down at the start of the season and their performances in the first few games of the season under Parker did nothing to disabuse us of that view. The fact that they are in mid table and safe from relegation with four games still to play is an outstanding achievement.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The manager of the season is the person who guides their club to the top of the Premier League. Why complicate the obvious?
So the manager of the season is the one who gets the most money?

Edit: Oh. Chelsea.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We can discuss all we like but we all know it'll be Pep (especially if he wins the double of treble) 🙄

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We can discuss all we like but we all know it'll be Pep (especially if he wins the double of treble) 🙄
I reckon it'll only be Pep if he wins all three, otherwise the top 4 of GNLF's list are in with a great shout, particularly Howe or Arteta.

Erik Ten Hag has flown a little bit under the radar in these discussions to be honest. They've been shit for a couple of seasons, but he's got them into the Champions League, already won a trophy and might yet win another. That's arguably a better season than Arsenal if they don't win the league.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
So the manager of the season is the one who gets the most money?

Edit: Oh. Chelsea.
Exactly, look at Chelsea. So much money but the managers go from bad to worse and they're way off the top. Not even saying I'm a massive fan of Guardiola, but if he gets that lot to the top he's the manager of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here