Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Making the Amex better during covid on matchdays

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Still against finishing the season like this, we didn’t start the season with empty stadiums so is it fair to get promoted/relegated in empty ones? Even if we survive which I think we will.

Looking at German football empty stadiums are clearly favouring the better quality sides.

Our usual three points against Manure at home probably won’t work this season with none of us there to give the opposition a load of stick when their confidence has took a knock going a goal down to crappy Brighton.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Posted earlier on another thread. Some relevant bits:

Just dropped in by accident on the Benfica match for the last 20 minutes. Very clean, open game. Little dissent, no rolling on the pitch banging the ground in agony. A bit sterile, but the PA operator worked the crowd noise well, feeding in a few whistles and boos when he though the ref gave the wrong decision against the home team, Benfica. Ground was decorated with home scarves draped across each seat, no away scarves at all to maximise home advantage. Cramp kicked in a few times after about 75 minutes reflecting fitness levels. I guess if all the teams are in the same boat, it's a way to tidy up the season. Hopefully the Premier League will play out neatly with no change to the current positions, then nobody can argue too much about the methodology or the outcome. And we'll stay up

That's a good point about the play-acting. Can't imagine we'll see very much of that. Even the most theatrical of usual suspects will feel a bit self-conscious about doing the dying swan in an empty stadium shirley?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Posted earlier on another thread. Some relevant bits:

Just dropped in by accident on the Benfica match for the last 20 minutes. Very clean, open game. Little dissent, no rolling on the pitch banging the ground in agony. A bit sterile, but the PA operator worked the crowd noise well, feeding in a few whistles and boos when he though the ref gave the wrong decision against the home team, Benfica. Ground was decorated with home scarves draped across each seat, no away scarves at all to maximise home advantage. Cramp kicked in a few times after about 75 minutes reflecting fitness levels. I guess if all the teams are in the same boat, it's a way to tidy up the season. Hopefully the Premier League will play out neatly with no change to the current positions, then nobody can argue too much about the methodology or the outcome. And we'll stay up

Surely we have something ready for when Kevin Friend or Mike Dean ref us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another vote for a DJ to play crowd noise relevant to what is happening on the pitch. Chants from Albion recordings and ones from the opponents too, as well as oohs and aahs and moans, cheers etc.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Another vote for a DJ to play crowd noise relevant to what is happening on the pitch. Chants from Albion recordings and ones from the opponents too, as well as oohs and aahs and moans, cheers etc.

I wonder if we could find a recording of the surreal response at The Amex when Ashley Barnes stepped up for possibly his last penalty for us. I can't remember the match, but never heard anything like it, before or since. The Barnes haters wanted him to score for Albion yet somehow do something they could boo him for. The ground was eerily quiet for a home penalty punctuated by 'not Barnes FFS' sort of noise. Hard to describe, but ideal for putting off an opponent if the away team gets a penalty.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That's a good point about the play-acting. Can't imagine we'll see very much of that. Even the most theatrical of usual suspects will feel a bit self-conscious about doing the dying swan in an empty stadium shirley?

Draping the scarves on most of the seats in the lower bowl was surprisingly effective. As many of them were different versions of Benfica scarves, I've no idea if supporters donated them or if the club bought them, but there were 000's of them making a sea of red and white. I'd happily wash my scarf and donate it at the Amex if it would help because it worked better than it sounds.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
We could have cardboard cutouts on springs that, controlled remotely, rise to their 'feet' as we approach the opposition penalty area with accompanying sound effects.

In the event of one of the cardboard figures not resuming a seated position sufficiently rapidly after the action, an override steward figure would appear and caution its cardboard counterpart about excessive standing.

You could also have occasional bursts of bad language (if KO is after the watershed) which would allow broadcasters to apologise for anything that may have been picked up. The cardboard steward voice could then be heard repremanding the miscreant.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Anythoughts ?

Arsenal apparently looking at beaming in video of fans watching on zoom = cant see that adds anything.

Best I've seen is the cut outs of fans occupying seats with the money raised going to charity, at least it looks better than empty seats.

Other options are chants pumped in over the PA system.

Should we be doing anything to give us an edge or as Paul would say .. improve the product for the customer.

Apologies for a football thread
How do cardboard cutouts of fans raise money?

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Are we doing anything extra tonight?? Would be great to see a DJ mixing some tunes getting the players pumped pre match.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here