Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Magpies

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was going to attempt the job - i've done it before years and years ago.

The problem is I was going to do it with laminate, but every time I mention laminate someone punches me in the face.

Give it a go, nowt wrong laminate, I'd prefer engineered wood as it gives to a bit more protection but laminate easier to fit, cheaper and limitless styles and colours. We've even got vinyl in our kitchen/dining, I'd prefer to fit laminate than that.... Internal skirting is a bit of a trick but just cut a few bits for practice, you'll figure it out.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Give it a go, nowt wrong laminate, I'd prefer engineered wood as it gives to a bit more protection but laminate easier to fit, cheaper and limitless styles and colours. We've even got vinyl in our kitchen/dining, I'd prefer to fit laminate than that.... Internal skirting is a bit of a trick but just cut a few bits for practice, you'll figure it out.

laminate is utter shite, it is nothing but compressed cardboard, any sign of water and it blows, even the “water proof” laminate. Nothing but comebacks, water always finds its way underneath or in gaps, I wouldn’t put it in a dog kennel.
Engineered or solid wood is miles better, cheaper option yet miles better is vinyl, it’s progressed a lot and textured too now, my choice LVT karndean or better still Amtico.

Laminate is for northerners

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Once had soot/dirt coming from under a gas fire, didn’t think too much about it but same thing next day so decided to investigate which meant taking out the gas fire and metal plate over the hearth. A pigeon was alive and well in there. Got it out with the aid of a towel and released it out of the window. It promptly flew off like the clappers and I followed it’s path until it crashed into pylon wires, dropping like a stone. Sad end to a bad couple of days.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I am not trying to be insulting, but being in the trade, to me it just seems a make shift way of doing things, I understand the expense and extra work involved so everything is relative, but in an ideal world, scotia NO

Just to clarify, when we moved here, fourteen years ago, we ripped up the downstairs carpets and found the original pine floorboards. Unfortunately, because of internal modifications such as the removal of brick partitions, and extensions, the floorboards couldnt be sanded and stained as we would've hoped (we did that in the upstairs rooms, though). The house being 90 years old, the removal of ground floor skirtings would've resulted in damage to the plastered walls in every room, except the kitchen which was in an extension, with all the resultant making good. We decided on engineered oak in every room, except the kitchen and the flooring contractor fitted the beading as shown. I guess I should've sought advice on here in 2008, my bad.:lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just to clarify, when we moved here, fourteen years ago, we ripped up the downstairs carpets and found the original pine floorboards. Unfortunately, because of internal modifications such as the removal of brick partitions, and extensions, the floorboards couldnt be sanded and stained as we would've hoped (we did that in the upstairs rooms, though). The house being 90 years old, the removal of ground floor skirtings would've resulted in damage to the plastered walls in every room, except the kitchen which was in an extension, with all the resultant making good. We decided on engineered oak in every room, except the kitchen and the flooring contractor fitted the beading as shown. I guess I should've sought advice on here in 2008, my bad.:lolol:

I understand see above post, ref ideal world.
Sadly we do not live in one, so understand short cuts, otherwise we would not have bought Ashley Neal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not trying to be insulting, but being in the trade, to me it just seems a make shift way of doing things, I understand the expense and extra work involved so everything is relative, but in an ideal world, scotia NO

Yeah I was watching a video where the bloke started a fresh.
It seemed perfect for me as my skirting boards are nasty.

But naturally wasn't prepared to store that away until NSC had given me the all clear.

Wait for the next thrilling installment, provisionally titled:-

'How easy is it to remove and replace skirting boards?'

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

But naturally wasn't prepared to store that away until NSC had given me the all clear.

Wait for the next thrilling installment, provisionally titled:-

'How easy is it to remove and replace skirting boards?'

It's not terribly difficult, I started doing my own bits when I moved up here 5 years ago, had done nothing before - I would describe this as easy/moderate. The only difficulty is scribing the inner corners but then all you need is a pencil, a coping saw and a steady hand. Like I mentioned earlier, practice on a bit of waste.

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

We also had the issue of laying engineered oak t&g boards directly on to existing pine timber floorboards meaning we, effectively, have a floating floor. This precluded fixing new skirtings around the perimeter.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We also had the issue of laying engineered oak t&g boards directly on to existing pine timber floorboards meaning we, effectively, have a floating floor. This precluded fixing new skirtings around the perimeter.

Oh dear another NO, NO... punish:

I bet your floor creaks..:lolol:
You should not really lay engineered boards (which are classed as a floating floor) direct onto timber floorboards, because they are constantly moving and will cause stress to the interlocking systems of the engineered boards, YOU Should have at least installed 6mm plyboard and then your engineered wood.

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Oh dear another NO, NO... punish:

I bet your floor creaks..:lolol:
You should not really lay engineered boards (which are classed as a floating floor) direct onto timber floorboards, because they are constantly moving and will cause stress to the interlocking systems of the engineered boards, YOU Should have at least installed 6mm plyboard and then your engineered wood.

In all honesty I can’t remember if there was plyboard laid underneath as we were away when the flooring was being installed. All I do know is that there has been no movement in the flooring in the 14 years since it was laid and it doesn’t creak or flex.

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
After 14 years it’s still like new :)

D97D60E4-8672-4020-866E-2EEA6B93D5E6.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here