Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Maddie Hinch

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
:bowdown: to West Chilt's GB hockey keeper Maddie Hinch, who just saved all four shoot-out penalties to see them through to a semi-final. :thumbsup:

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Watching that I did wonder if football penalty shoot outs could be changed to a similar format. It seems to be that it is much harder to score a penalty in a hockey shoot-out, and therefore each goal is something to celebrate, whereas in football its the misses that are disastrous. If the expectation is that you wont score, then goals would be celebrated more as they are in the game. Might stop some of the abuse penalty takers receive when they miss too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Watching that I did wonder if football penalty shoot outs could be changed to a similar format. It seems to be that it is much harder to score a penalty in a hockey shoot-out, and therefore each goal is something to celebrate, whereas in football its the misses that are disastrous. If the expectation is that you wont score, then goals would be celebrated more as they are in the game. Might stop some of the abuse penalty takers receive when they miss too.

They did actually use these kind of penalties, in the States, in the old fore-runner to the MLS. Much more interesting.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Hinch hasn't conceded in 9 penalties - 4 against the Dutch in the Rio final, and 5 (including the retake) in today's game.

Having forced the penalty taker to go one way, she's so quick to recover and close down the change of direction.

With the 8 seconds running out, the attacker has to get a shot away that's invariably off target or is blocked.

Magnificent technique coupled with doing her homework on individual players.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its been tried in some youth leagues in the last few years. You start 25 metres from goal, got 10 seconds to score, if the keeper saves you have another 5 to score the rebound.

The penalty shoot-out system was never supposed to be permanent, it was just to get rid of the previous lottery system. Think that in the not too distant future something will be done about it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know nothing about Hockey - a sport I watch for a bit, once every four years - but it seems to me that the penalty technique of taking it in really close to the keeper, then turning your back, really isn't very effective.

Getting to edge of the D, then picking a corner seems to work as often as not. :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They did actually use these kind of penalties, in the States, in the old fore-runner to the MLS. Much more interesting.

Vaguely remember a few kids tournaments where 'American Penalties' were used................we used them for the kids as a bit of fun in training quite often

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Hinch hasn't conceded in 9 penalties - 4 against the Dutch in the Rio final, and 5 (including the retake) in today's game.

Having forced the penalty taker to go one way, she's so quick to recover and close down the change of direction.

With the 8 seconds running out, the attacker has to get a shot away that's invariably off target or is blocked.

Magnificent technique coupled with doing her homework on individual players.

At Rio, didn't she have the expected penalty takers and their expected approach direction written on her water bottle as a kind of crib sheet? Along with some motivational stuff like 'arms out, stay big'

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

You mean like this. Watch out for former loanee Tony Meola.

https://youtu.be/RRITqS6WEn0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here