Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Luton penalty vs Wolves

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I am beginning to form the impression that the laws of the game are deliberately studied at the minute/technical level in order that VAR can justify itself.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am amazed that anyone would want that to be a penalty. Totally inadvertent, arms in a natural position for the move he was making - why on earth would his arms be by his side? Against all logic and against the spirit of the game for me.
Well, what definition of ‘arms in a natural position’ would you want ? I thought the move towards arms needing to be close to the torso was an attempt to avoid all this. Fans won’t accept subjectivity so it looks like we are going to need an AI algorithm measuring angles of acceptable body shape and combine that with history of each player’s typical body shape.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Luton have scored three goals in five EPL games and two of them were from handball penalties from ricochets off defenders. Kicking the ball hard at a defender seems currently to be their most effective attacking tactic.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It was similar in some senses to the penalty Dunk gave away which came off his back. That was a misapplication of the rule as well.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Apart from being a massive misinterpretation of the spirit of the original law, the big issue is that the punishment for one of these accidental ricochets is absurdly disproportionate. For such an incident as yesterday's, or Dunk's against Luton, to be penalised with a near-certain goal is brutally unjust. If we really must regard these handballs as an offence then let's have an indirect free kick instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here