Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Looks like MASSIVE are cooking the books...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Even promotion doesn't guarantee avoiding FFP penalties these days it appears.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...les-Dean-Smith-possibly-forced-fire-sale.html

Good. But it does It provides the cash to pay the fine - see Bournemouth - or to fight it - see QPR - or the fait accompli to help sweep it under the carpet (Leicester as posted above). Stay in the championship and the figures look massive. Get promoted and it looks like sensible investment.

Had we not not gone up when we did - weren't we at the three year cycle that meant we would have had to sell that squad ? All of a sudden Tony Bloom might have looked a bit of a chancer to those looking from outside. Thankfully from our perspective - and due to the foresight and business acumen of our chairman (not forgetting our manager and squad) we went up and happy days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’d have Wednesday promoted tomorrow and a shoe-in for the PL title for the next 20 years solid if it kept Leeds in the Championship. No brainier for me, in spite of our priors with Wednesday.

Plus Leeds will be good in the PL, whereas Massive will be shit. Self interest is all....

Apologies for being motivated still by imposter syndrome. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good. But it does It provides the cash to pay the fine - see Bournemouth - or to fight it - see QPR - or the fait accompli to help sweep it under the carpet (Leicester as posted above). Stay in the championship and the figures look massive. Get promoted and it looks like sensible investment.

Had we not not gone up when we did - weren't we at the three year cycle that meant we would have had to sell that squad ? All of a sudden Tony Bloom might have looked a bit of a chancer to those looking from outside. Thankfully from our perspective - and due to the foresight and business acumen of our chairman (not forgetting our manager and squad) we went up and happy days.

I have a suggestion; it may seem outlandish on first reading but bear with me....

What if we had a single governing body (I can hear the sniggering already - stop it), and seamless transition from the championship to the EPL? That way you couldn't do the equivalent of 'cross the county line' (leaving a trail of unpaid bills, criminal damage and pregnant women in your wake).

On that basis I have a related proposal: we could theme the names of the leagues:

Premier league
Championship
Supremacy
Divinity

Or (yes, I know, this one is a bit ****ing stupid, and would NEVER work) how about:

Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
Division 4

I know. Outlandish, naive, and it will never work. Fact. I will get my coat.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Currently in the play off positions, but they are one of 11 teams within 7 points of each other from 3rd to 14th.

Here’s one for my moral compass. Do I want Leeds to keep winning, to deny Wednesday the chance to escape their misdemeanours via automatic promotion.

Meditate on this I will

This is one for a certain Dave the gaffer PO to cogitate about 🤫🤔

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd say the only reason the EFL haven't kicked off yet about Massive being sponsored by made-up companies is because the amounts are (at this stage) modest and fairly inconsequential. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this Chanisi character is "testing the water" with this, with a view to ramping it up later. After all, he can only sell the stadium to himself once can't he.

Leicester City did something very similar before they got promoted. They were sponsored by a newly formed company with no website and no phone number, which then forged "close links" to King Power, and immediately bunged them something like £15m, which helped massage the old P&L figures for FFP. If this herbert at Sheffield starts stepping up the "sponsorship" with these non-trading businesses then I think the EFL will take a closer look.

But they've already got enough to clobber them on this £60m Hillsborough sale anyway, so may as well hammer them on that.

The reason the EFL haven't kicked off about them being sponsored by Chansiri owned companies is because it's within their FFP related party rules - ie the income hasn't been inflated above market value. They've had Chansiri plastered all over the stadium and on their shirts since we last played there in 2016 without any FFP issues.

Leicester were collared because the EFL concluded that the deal they did with that company you mentioned was artificially inflated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...wner-not-commercially-active-dejphon-chansiri

Interesting article. In summary, their owner Dejphon Chansiri is currently bringing additional sponsorship into the club from several of his own businesses - which are not even currently trading. And he sold the ground to himself for £60m in June this year, but submitted it into the 2017-18 accounts, changing what would have been an FFP-busting £35m loss into a £2m profit, and thus swerving a hefty FFP penalty. They spent almost double their £25m revenues last year on wages alone, which rose to £42m.

Its all in dispute with the EFL and the lawyers (natch), but it would appear MASSIVE are betting the farm on going up this season and escaping the clutches of the EFL over all this with delaying tactics. If they get to the PL then all this goes away.

There's a big thread on the Wednesday forum about it. https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/286346-club-statement/#comments

From what I've read of it, predictably nobody on there see's any wrongdoing by the club, and are sticking two fingers up at the EFL. If they don't go up this season though, looks like it'll be popcorn time, just sit back and watch all the fallout....

Derby, Massive, QPR and Villa - all FFP crooks. Will the Football League have the balls to see this challenge through?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The reason the EFL haven't kicked off about them being sponsored by Chansiri owned companies is because it's within their FFP related party rules - ie the income hasn't been inflated above market value. They've had Chansiri plastered all over the stadium and on their shirts since we last played there in 2016 without any FFP issues.

Leicester were collared because the EFL concluded that the deal they did with that company you mentioned was artificially inflated.

YET
Why else do you think he's bothered creating non-trading businesses and funnelling money through them into Massive ? The bloke is quite clearly a slippery character, looking to exploit any loopholes he can to break FFP and keep pouring money into players pockets, agents pockets and transfer fees.

Leicester never did get properly collared because they successfully cheated FFP and went up. They previously got relegated, went into admin, kept their PL squad together and went up again - getting a free stadium into the bargain, as the contractors ended up with 2p in the £.

Fairytale stuff.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
YET
Why else do you think he's bothered creating non-trading businesses and funnelling money through them into Massive ? The bloke is quite clearly a slippery character, looking to exploit any loopholes he can to break FFP and keep pouring money into players pockets, agents pockets and transfer fees.

Leicester never did get properly collared because they successfully cheated FFP and went up. They previously got relegated, went into admin, kept their PL squad together and went up again - getting a free stadium into the bargain, as the contractors ended up with 2p in the £.

Fairytale stuff.

And they're not going to get done for the sponsorship stuff as it's for fairly modest amounts and therefore completely within the rules.

I don't know what this Chansiri bloke is like; it could just be that he's a particularly crap businessman that knows bugger all about football. He does however seem to be a bit of a narcissist with his name plastered everywhere at Hillsborough and appearing front row of the team photo where you'd normally expect to see the captain and/or manager seated.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have a suggestion; it may seem outlandish on first reading but bear with me....

What if we had a single governing body (I can hear the sniggering already - stop it), and seamless transition from the championship to the EPL? That way you couldn't do the equivalent of 'cross the county line' (leaving a trail of unpaid bills, criminal damage and pregnant women in your wake).

On that basis I have a related proposal: we could theme the names of the leagues:

Premier league
Championship
Supremacy
Divinity

Or (yes, I know, this one is a bit ****ing stupid, and would NEVER work) how about:

Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
Division 4

I know. Outlandish, naive, and it will never work. Fact. I will get my coat.

By Jove. You're onto something my dear old fruit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And they're not going to get done for the sponsorship stuff as it's for fairly modest amounts and therefore completely within the rules.

I don't know what this Chansiri bloke is like; it could just be that he's a particularly crap businessman that knows bugger all about football. He does however seem to be a bit of a narcissist with his name plastered everywhere at Hillsborough and appearing front row of the team photo where you'd normally expect to see the captain and/or manager seated.

I met a bloke (Wednesday fan) who worked for him for a while. Said he's a complete mentalist and has absolutely no clue about football / running a club. Which was a safe bet really!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here