Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] London running out of drinking water?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Fergal Sharkey, a great singer with a good heart, on GMB this morning talking all things sewage, and threw this into the conversation.

Another scare story?

Took to Google and found this

I take it this doesn’t effect the lucrative bottled water industry?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Attachments

• 89B0E29F-57AB-4D31-BA32-B0B1D0326E87.jpeg
    89B0E29F-57AB-4D31-BA32-B0B1D0326E87.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 34

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
that article whipsaws between local and world wide issues. makes it pretty meaningless scaremongering, with nonsense stats and vague unsupported claims.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
The Government could have included a huge water pipe from the north when building HS2!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I thought it was a well known fact - London is not sustainable water wise. I think it gets less replenishable water than the likes of Rome And Madrid. it could get a second/third desalination plant (environmenral unfriendly and expensive) or we could revive the Keilder reservoir to the se England pipeline option we reviewed in early 90s. or the one you all love sewage to drinking water - something both Southern and Anglian Water have looked at.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought it was a well known fact - London is not sustainable water wise. I think it gets less replenishable water than the likes of Rome And Madrid. it could get a second/third desalination plant (environmenral unfriendly and expensive) or we could revive the Keilder reservoir to the se England pipeline option we reviewed in early 90s. or the one you all love sewage to drinking water - something both Southern and Anglian Water have looked at.
Rome and the Apennines have incredibly wet winters, the topography made the creation of hydro systems easier.

On a global scale, SE and Eastern England gets little rain.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It;s all the fault of Brexit and the French stealing the English Channel.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I blame Thatcher.

Mind you, my kids will tell you that I do have a tendancy to do that. Whether it's economics, geopolitics, Eurovision, the World Cup, the weather, or the decline in quality of Saturday night TV, I'll find a way to blame Thatcher.

Though it's nice whenever something does turn out to be her fault.

It's more frequent than you might imagine.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Where does all the bottled water come from?
I sell around 500 small bottles a week of Cristaline water. A mere 250 litres of the stuff. But I see pallets of water on the lorry going to other shops as well. Then, in France, I see the same company selling water. They must clear millions of litres a day. Where does it come from?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I sell around 500 small bottles a week of Cristaline water. A mere 250 litres of the stuff. But I see pallets of water on the lorry going to other shops as well. Then, in France, I see the same company selling water. They must clear millions of litres a day. Where does it come from?
The sky ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A crystal blue stream in Scotland?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Government could have included a huge water pipe from the north when building HS2!
Average rainfall in London isn't much different from what it is in (looks ups HS2 route) Birmingham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here