Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] London day trip

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
On a side note, the price of show tickets! Wow.. I know it must cost a lot to run the productions, but 5 tickets in the gods for Frozen tomorrow afternoon £900. Can do a weekend away for less.

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Good choice. If you can spare a cheeky pint, there is a pub in the station opposite the gardens.

If you go directly from Kew to Central London (personal choice) but I'd actually take one stop out to Richmond and jump on a fast overland to Waterloo. It's a far more civil way of travelling.
Thanks for this, will follow this as it’s fairly easy to get around from Waterloo. Always nice to wonder along Southbank too.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Thanks everyone, going for Kew Gardens. Weather permitting.

May also see if we can get some reasonably priced show tickets for the evening
If you take out a membership at Wakehurst, they include a free trip to Kew. Obviously on,y worth it if you plan on going to Wakehurst too!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I’m thinking of doing that in a few weeks - worth it?
Always planned to go never made it and I've been up here 25 years.

That said I'm incredibly lucky to live between Wandsworth and Clapham Common. I love the commons.

If anyone one is coming up from Brighton and wants to experience a nice local bit of local London, there is always Northcote Road which is a few minutes walk from Clapham Junction station.

It's basically Kings Road "lite". Watch out for Northcote Road Festival over the summer when they close the whole road. Usually round July.

Very family friendly, foot stalls etc...

Lots of restaurants all year round and VERY convenient for the train back to Brighton.

1676499213046.png

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for this, will follow this as it’s fairly easy to get around from Waterloo. Always nice to wonder along Southbank too.
Look for the SW fast trains, there are very regular not the London Overland metro train which you may come in from. Basically turn left and you will see them. Richmond is small. You won't need to leave the platforms. They only go to one destination from that platform.

Avoid the tube, you do not need it. The SW will zip you into central London.

It's an oddity (for London) because it has public toilets and an M&S for such a small station.

Lastly do not miss the glass houses at Kew. In my opinion in the top 5 things to see in London. Extraordinary.

You've prompted me to visit in the next few weeks.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
London Wetlands Centre? - if a nice day.
Hampton Court Plalace? - if wet.

Nowt wrong with Kew Gardens though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here