Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London commuters appear to attack XR protestor

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I should have been more clear regarding planning for automobiles in our urban centers, rather than road infrastructure altogether. Although the flawed statistics and thought that the roads would negate the need for vast stretches of our railways through the Beeching years and the hubris of those decisions is another discussion.

The point being by the author was the priority of the vehicle over pedestrians in our town centres, our retail districts etc. Not just here, but in areas of the US its even worse where you have laws preventing you from even crossing or walking along some roads.

You can consider Brighton as a case in point in what should be an amazing retail experience from a stroll down from the station to the shops, and beach beyond. What could be a tree lined avenue from the station to a thriving piazza around the Clock Tower, it is a walk with pavements barely wide enough to accommodate 3 people abreast, let alone wheelchairs etc.

Yes, I agree re town centres and some are awful.
Being an optimist(most of the time!) I do believe that positive steps are being taken re quite a few town centres. Much more to be done though!:thumbsup:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Very funny seeing these environmental protesters get a good kicking. Exactly how I would have reacted.

That’ll teach them.

Not sure he thought his morning would end with many carbon footprints to his head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very interesting article on Sky that just proves that they are not doing their homework and as I suspect some are just anarchists out for a bit of aggro.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-view...p-treating-big-business-as-the-enemy-11838095

That article is so disingenuous as to almost be unreadable. To say Black Rock is the biggest investor in fossil fuels because of it's size, but also the biggest investor in sustainable technologies is to miss the huge difference in those commitments, and the way it has continually voted against climate related shareholder motions at fossil companies it invests in - 80% opposition to votes held over the last 4 years.

97.5% of Black Rocks investments are in what is termed 'non sustainable' funds. 2.5% in sustainable. Now for the purposes of the Sky article, that 2.5% may present a lot of investment compared to many other companies, but it is pretty much tokenism for Black Rock compared to investment in not just non sustainable funds, but actual fossil fuel investments.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That protester on the train kicked the other guy, who was trying to get him off, in the head. That was when it looked like it went to another level. Even then it was just a few slaps and not exactly a Gaddafi lynching.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Why does no body mention cement and concrete in terms of global warming it has a huge contribution to Co2 and with expansion of cities, roads etc is growing, always pi55es me off these "green" house builders on programmes like Grand Designs that go on about their eco-friendly house because it has ground source heating but they have used a floor plate of 10 metres of concrete.

I fully support the fighting for our planet but there are ways and means and I dont think they went about it in the right way over the last 2 weeks, but the plus is it has got us all talking about it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Of all stations to pick, they chose Canning Town! Surprised they didn’t try custom house or Bermondsey as well.

They would have had better success at Notting Hill Gate or Wimbledon!

Also unsure why they chose bank junction in view it’s not accessible to motor vehicles between 7-7

Tells me none of these decision makers have any London footprint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The Extinction Rebellion saboteurs have blocked Oxford Circus and, by the looks of it, the police are giving them protection rather than shifting them.

_109283777_11d700f2-82f0-4cb3-aa72-14490c86278a.jpg

Imagine if football fans did this.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Why does no body mention cement and concrete in terms of global warming it has a huge contribution to Co2 and with expansion of cities, roads etc is growing, always pi55es me off these "green" house builders on programmes like Grand Designs that go on about their eco-friendly house because it has ground source heating but they have used a floor plate of 10 metres of concrete.

To be fair midnight_rendezvous made this point strongly on another thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should have been more clear regarding planning for automobiles in our urban centers, rather than road infrastructure altogether. Although the flawed statistics and thought that the roads would negate the need for vast stretches of our railways through the Beeching years and the hubris of those decisions is another discussion.

The point being by the author was the priority of the vehicle over pedestrians in our town centres, our retail districts etc. Not just here, but in areas of the US its even worse where you have laws preventing you from even crossing or walking along some roads.

You can consider Brighton as a case in point in what should be an amazing retail experience from a stroll down from the station to the shops, and beach beyond. What could be a tree lined avenue from the station to a thriving piazza around the Clock Tower, it is a walk with pavements barely wide enough to accommodate 3 people abreast, let alone wheelchairs etc.
I've been looking for this (in the wrong place) for you all day today.

111111.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here