Living for kicks, 1960

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great documentary on teenage life in Brighton (and elsewhere) in 1960...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
My parents met in the 'Whiskey' ( as my Mum and Aunt called it when they told me stories from that era) in 1961, I was her 18th birthday present in December '62, so the subject matter in discusson in the program was very relevant to my family.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My parents met in the 'Whiskey' ( as my Mum and Aunt called it when they told me stories from that era) in 1961, I was her 18th birthday present in December '62, so the subject matter in discusson in the program was very relevant to my family.

It's an amazing glimpse into a different world... How much has changed since then - the misbehaviour of teenagers that caused so much outrage then would be completely scoffed at now. The fact that Whiskey-a-go-go was a 'coffee bar', not even a proper bar, says it all.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's an amazing glimpse into a different world... How much has changed since then - the misbehaviour of teenagers that caused so much outrage then would be completely scoffed at now. The fact that Whiskey-a-go-go was a 'coffee bar', not even a proper bar, says it all.

It had its moments and a reputation, including a murder.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I dont think they were angels of course, plenty of drink, drugs, sex and fights,.... but from conversations with my folks who were beatniks, my Uncle who was a Mod and my Aunt who rode motorbikes, the overriding comments about that time was that they did plenty of dubious things, but they had a healthy respect for authority and the consequences for their actions were feared, unlike today where the kids care not a jot for the consequences because there aren't any.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dont think they were angels of course, plenty of drink, drugs, sex and fights,.... but from conversations with my folks who were beatniks, my Uncle who was a Mod and my Aunt who rode motorbikes, the overriding comments about that time was that they did plenty of dubious things, but they had a healthy respect for authority and the consequences for their actions were feared, unlike today where the kids care not a jot for the consequences because there aren't any.

I always have discussions with my folks about the different eras and if things have changed for the worse or better and I have the same discussions with my boys now.

It seems that Brighton has always had a sinister underbelly.

Currently my boys go into town to the usual haunts very regularly with their mates and seem to run into very little or no trouble at all, there is undoubtedly a less tribal dynamic going on at present, my boys know and like many other young lads from other areas, through sport and other events, I think things seem to be less localised.

In my days ( late 70's and 80's ) it was far more tribal, football violence, school versus school, towns versus town, mods, skinheads, punks, there were many fights and stand offs within my group of mates and others.

If we go back further into our parents era's then many of that generations are fed stories of horrific stabbings and gang shootings through the national press and even associate these incidents to Brighton's West Streets, when as I have said very little trouble occurs.

They conveniently forget that their own era included a level of violence too.

From the 30's razor gangs of organised crime of the Brighton's race course, the inter fighting between the serviceman including the Poles and Canadians in the war years up to the slashing of the teddy boys and then of course the mods and rockers posturing.

I am told that fighting was common place throughout Brighton's clubs and pubs, where it really isnt now.

All confirmed by my parents, but as you say the police gave as good as you they got and I am told there was a big bear of a policeman with ginger hair that would gladly pile into any fight down West Street possibly the 40's or 50's, different times.

I genuinely believe that most of the youngsters today are respectful and well mannered and less eager to fight and although Brighton remains seedy at times we have yet to see many of the levels of violence that seem to blight our bigger cities.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That quote comes to mind, "Brighton looks like a place that's permanently helping the police with its enquiries." It has always had a reputation as a home for spivs, gangs and 'ne'er-do-wells' - as epitomised in 'Brighton Rock', of course.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It had its moments and a reputation, including a murder.

think you might be referring to the "Harvey Halford" case and I'm sure that was related to the "Blue Gardenia" which was in the same building or very near there.
we used to go in the "Whiskey" but ended up using the "Starlight Rooms" when it opened
Brighton was a very different place then

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
think you might be referring to the "Harvey Halford" case and I'm sure that was related to the "Blue Gardenia" which was in the same building or very near there.
we used to go in the "Whiskey" but ended up using the "Starlight Rooms" when it opened
Brighton was a very different place then

I think your right.

In what sense do you think Brighton was a different place then ??

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think your right.

In what sense do you think Brighton was a different place then ??

less cars
less crime
more actual Brighton people in the clubs, bars,anywhere really
how many people now who live in Brighton were actually born there?
and if you want to go down the football route how many people who go regularly to the Amex actually started their football supporting at Brighton(Albion)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
less cars
less crime
more actual Brighton people in the clubs, bars,anywhere really
how many people now who live in Brighton were actually born there?
and if you want to go down the football route how many people who go regularly to the Amex actually started their football supporting at Brighton(Albion)

Certainly less cars, perhaps less detection of crime, but Brighton has always been wonderfully dodgy.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Certainly less cars, perhaps less detection of crime, but Brighton has always been wonderfully dodgy.

thats true
but I will say that it was the Brightonians that were the well dodgy ones
now its the world and its auntie

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I always have discussions with my folks about the different eras and if things have changed for the worse or better and I have the same discussions with my boys now.

It seems that Brighton has always had a sinister underbelly.

Currently my boys go into town to the usual haunts very regularly with their mates and seem to run into very little or no trouble at all, there is undoubtedly a less tribal dynamic going on at present, my boys know and like many other young lads from other areas, through sport and other events, I think things seem to be less localised.

In my days ( late 70's and 80's ) it was far more tribal, football violence, school versus school, towns versus town, mods, skinheads, punks, there were many fights and stand offs within my group of mates and others.

If we go back further into our parents era's then many of that generations are fed stories of horrific stabbings and gang shootings through the national press and even associate these incidents to Brighton's West Streets, when as I have said very little trouble occurs.

They conveniently forget that their own era included a level of violence too.

From the 30's razor gangs of organised crime of the Brighton's race course, the inter fighting between the serviceman including the Poles and Canadians in the war years up to the slashing of the teddy boys and then of course the mods and rockers posturing.

I am told that fighting was common place throughout Brighton's clubs and pubs, where it really isnt now.

All confirmed by my parents, but as you say the police gave as good as you they got and I am told there was a big bear of a policeman with ginger hair that would gladly pile into any fight down West Street possibly the 40's or 50's, different times.

I genuinely believe that most of the youngsters today are respectful and well mannered and less eager to fight and although Brighton remains seedy at times we have yet to see many of the levels of violence that seem to blight our bigger cities.

Nice to hear someone not trotting out the same old, 'youth of today....we had a bit of respect in our days' lines.

In recent visits back home I've been really impressed by the level of service when I've gone shopping/drinking. Much better than in the past and nearly always from people in their early 20s.

I find it's usually the more opinionated ones, the kind who like to have a pop at the younger generation, that I find the least approachable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports