Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool's second disallowed goal

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Usages of VAR like today do the exact opposite for me. It makes me think there is hope for the game. Hope that all the big desicions won't go automatically the way of the big clubs every week, hope that because of that we can start to approach a level playing field. Without VAR we would have lost 3-0 today via two goals gifted to them by the officials. That makes me fall out of love with the game, not VAR.

VAR had good usage today generally.

Playing neutral, Salah's goal is a shame for football overall. I think the offside rule needs a little more leverage. It's down to personal judgement on the exact moment the ball is passed. It can't be perfect.

The second goal was clearly offside.

DWs foul. In strictest understanding it was that. But something in me worries that if those are given we can see why there are so many more penalties and players now looking for them with purpose.

I glad Albion got the rub. For two reasons. One, perhaps biased, I think they deserved it and, two, it puts to bed the utter myth that 'bigger' clubs are favoured. That is utter tosh.

All it's done is given us three points against Villa and taken three points off us against Man U, evening it out but giving a big club a result they didn't deserve.

And ironically if the game had finished with a draw we would now be ABOVE utd in the table

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where did this "control of the ball" nonsense actually come from?

It's never been in the rules but it seems to be a thing. Like a conspiracy theory thing. Chinese whispers and eventually people believe it.......

"I was certainly and most definitely in control of the ball. I know balls, trust me, yes.... Quite frankly if Joe Biden had been in charge of the ball then certainly and, I know quite possibly it would not have been a penalty. Penalties are something I understand, I'm a big expert on pelanties, my great friend, very great friend Chrissy Waddle explained to me how they work. He's an expert by the way. We're looking into this very closely and definitely and yes. But importantly and, of course yes. Obama's birth certificate did NOT have control of the ball!"

It's not a thing and it never has been. If you miss the ball and kick someone in the penalty area, it's a penalty. I think that's why they call it "the penalty area".

This.

Some of the posts on NSC are a testament to the tendency for people, who aren't that interested in something and don't know much about it, to nevertheless feel moved to pontificate about it on a forum.

"VAR is ruining the game. It was much better when we let the game flow. How are Brighton Albion doing these days, by the way? I think I may nip down to the Goldstone again once this Covid has blown over. If the game isn't completely ruined by then. You only got an offside decision called if you used your hand and it lead to a goal. It's common sense isn't it? Nobody teaches common sense these days. I'm sure we had great independent minded referees who knew how to make the right decision, in the past."

Twat.jpg

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The game as we know it is being totally ruined by VAR and no one knows what is what any more. Something that was supposed to bring clarity, consistency and corrections of clear and obvious errors is being used to microscopically dissect the game, to the detriment of the flow of it and the knowledge among coaches and managers of what does and does not need overturning.

As for benefitting us, any decent linesman would have flagged both their "goals" but now they're told not to as their job is being done by a super computer in Heathrow. We got the benefit against Villa and with the pen yesterday (that is never, ever, a penalty by the way, the thing is making decisions it shouldn't) but there was nothing wrong with Connolly's penalty against big club Man U that VAR overturned and the ref missed Maupay's handball in the same game. All it's done is given us three points against Villa and taken three points off us against Man U, evening it out but giving a big club a result they didn't deserve.

VAR got all the calls correct. Villa no penalty correct, yesterday all 3 decision correct. If you use VAR you use the letter of the law.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Indeed. Maybe it has something to do with my mental make-up, but I would rather have correct decisions and a bit of order than 'the spontaneity' of a random decision made quickly just to 'keep the game moving' and pander to the short attention spans of a few over-excitable supporters. I cringed last season when large numbers of our supporters chanted '***k VAR' just because a decision went (correctly) against us. Chavwittery at its worst.

Anyway, I have nothing to worry about. VAR is here for good. The rubric will doubtless change (I have banged on about that reperatedly and can't be arsed to repeat myself) but we will never go back to relying on the whims and caprices of the ref-of-the-day and their random decision making device (I swear they all carry one - probably a chip and screen on their Acme Thunderer).

And yet all the other leagues below the premier league are still happy to play with the rules that the officials on the pitch make the decisions right or wrong. The same as its been in the last 100 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And yet all the other leagues below the premier league are still happy to play with the rules that the officials on the pitch make the decisions right or wrong. The same as its been in the last 100 years.

<sigh> They don't have the technology set up everywhere yet, or the 'expertise' yet to run it, as you go down the leagues. Even in the championship, VAR at Wycombe? Go down a bit futher in the leagues to league 1, Accy Stanley only got electricity put in at the Crown Ground a couple of years ago, but I'm sure they're happy with the cold water shower in the changing shed, and wouldn't upgrade it for the world.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
<sigh> They don't have the technology set up everywhere yet, or the 'expertise' yet to run it, as you go down the leagues. Even in the championship, VAR at Wycombe? Go down a bit futher in the leagues to league 1, Accy Stanley only got electricity put in at the Crown Ground a couple of years ago, but I'm sure they're happy with the cold water shower in the changing shed, and wouldn't upgrade it for the world.

I don't think fans in the lower leagues are excitedly waiting for their clubs to be brought into the 21st century so they can experience the joys of VAR
Its just a difference of opinion, but football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world because its free flowing and doesn't have long delays such as American football with it own version of VAR. Just my opinion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think fans in the lower leagues are excitedly waiting for their clubs to be brought into the 21st century so they can experience the joys of VAR
Its just a difference of opinion, but football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world because its free flowing and doesn't have long delays such as American football with it own version of VAR. Just my opinion.

Yeah, no worries mate. What will be will be. They won't listen to the likes of us either way :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here