Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Liverpool stripped of Unesco World Heritage status - Stonehenge next?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lost two titles in one season, careless

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Was watching this on the news earlier. The UNESCO status was a bit of a nonsense, apart from the famous buildings the rest of it looked like a crumbling wasteland. I'm sure regeneration will be much more useful to the people who live there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, I like a bit of modern architecture. There are some fantastic buildings in the city of London. Far better than some of these 17th and 18th century carbuncles!

As for Liverpool, as far as I'm aware, the three central buildings associated with the Unesco status have not, from the waterfront, been hidden.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Like I say I’ve lived in Liverpool for 30 years and the transformation is amazing. They’ve even got huge cruise ships docking in the heart of the city not far from where the new Everton stadium will be built. It is a shame that Unesco are more bothered about some old abandoned docks than helping a city to look to the future.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I worked in the Port of Liverpool building when they built that. We couldn’t believe they got planning permission but the planning process is very shady in Liverpool and led to the Mayor getting sacked.

Shady you say? Liverpool? Really………..

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
As for Liverpool, as far as I'm aware, the three central buildings associated with the Unesco status have not, from the waterfront, been hidden.

The three graces haven’t been touched, the whole area is pedestrianised. The dock developments are half a mile up the road either side of the Albert Dock.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The Arena was built on an old car park. The dock had been filled in decades ago.

Also the Liver Building, Port of Liverpool Building and Cunard are also built over an old dock....... in the early 1900s, so nothing changes.

Except the usage.

I agree with your point, do they expect the riverside architecture to be preserved in aspic?

Liverpool has changed beyond belief in my lifetime, the dockside in particular, and all for the better.

At a guess Unesco‘s decision won’t harm Liverpool’s tourism at all, it might even increase it as people go to see for themselves.

It’s a great city, if you’re not there for the football.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yes. How that ever got approved I’ll never know. Admittedly there wasn’t much there before, a car sales place if I remember correctly, but that is just an eyesore.

edaf4c0d0ee9e8e095fd585423806751.jpg

Wow, that is awful, and a real shame. The centre of Liverpool and the waterfront is absolutely fantastic, and I feel massively underrated due to the unfair stereotypes the city carries, but why you'd put that, there, is absolutely beyond me.

I normally drive into the city from the other side and park at Liverpool One (literally my favourite car park in the country!) so I've never noticed that building, but what a shoddy piece of modern architecture that is. It's no wonder Unesco took a dim view.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I’ve not been since we played up there in 91 but have to say I agree with the sentiment of what better way to protect and enhance the knowledge of a city’s past than to help it develop so it can attract reams of new visitors who can learn about its cultural heritage?! Sometimes there’s to much sentiment in these types of decisions. Crazy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here