Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's give Newport some credit shall we?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A proper cup tie . . . . Home team, home paddock, keeper having a worldie day, they're used to playing a style that upsets a more refined style of kick ball.

None of it masks the fact we're still a work in progress and not capable of winning games.

GP is correct in saying it was trumatic . . . although as a seasond BHA supporter, it was also hillariously entertaining. another reminder of 90's comedy football. It ,had it all.

Absolutely it was a proper cup tie.

Somehow though it's harder to see the magic of the FA Cup 3rd round when you're the one going through the mill

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They really dug in, defended well and in numbers and made it extremely difficult for us to break them down. Well organised and drilled and can see why they have caused so many upsets on that pitch previously.

Who has it been in the past few years?
Leeds United
Middlesbrough
Tottenham Hotspur (drawn)
Leicester City

As well as Watford in this season's EFL Cup and then went on to take Newcastle to penalties too.

Yet some of our fans think we should've strolled up and tickled their bellies in a 4-1 win like Man City did (even though it still took them until the 89th minute to make it safe before getting a fourth). :down:
Any other team would've struggled just as much as we did tonight.

Well done OP for pointing this out. Newport were terrific.

I'm certainly guilty of some emotion-driven immediate post match posts.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The other thing Newport deserve credit for was not diving in. We had very few set piece opportunities.

Our penalty shoot out record is phenomenal. I am sure I am not the only one to assume we have the worst penalty takers on the planet.

Even Webster’s winner was awful. A central ball on the deck is normally so easy to save, he got so lucky! Guess it was the pressure that made him try to emulate Tross’ horror show.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Absolutely it was a proper cup tie.

Somehow though it's harder to see the magic of the FA Cup 3rd round when you're the one going through the mill

It wasn't that long ago we were the under dogs lucky to get to the third round and a big tie.

It still feels a bit odd being a 'big' team

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
All season we've struggled against the low block. Last night was no exception. On the positive side, we look a little better from set pieces in the last few games but when we do get attacking transitions, we aren't anywhere near good enough to capitalise on them.
This video explains some of our issues pretty well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The pitch was a 12th man for them obviously. Playing as both teams did but at the Amex we'd have won by a couple of goals. Obviously, if my granny had balls she'd be my grandad too.

This. They were much more comfortable with it. We lost 10% of our impactfulness from a caution over slipping and getting injured. They just went for it.

On reflection....I enjoyed the game, liked our steady measured approach, winced at the backpass and the flap (both, in retrospect, a sign of a 'calamity' keeper, a bittersweet assessment if you recall the retired England international), shook my head at the pens, and at the end of the day, gladly accepted the 3 points. I voted 'Potter OUT!' last night but I'm sober now.

But this thread is about Newport. They looked very capable and hats off to them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Even Webster’s winner was awful. A central ball on the deck is normally so easy to save, he got so lucky! Guess it was the pressure that made him try to emulate Tross’ horror show.

Trossard's penalty summed up one of the truly worst cameo performances I have ever seen. I thought he was doing it for a bet. Virtually every single pass straight to an opposition player. Didn't matter whether it was three yards, nine yards, eighteen yards. Poor touch. losing control, robbed of the ball time and time again. Just awful. A total embarrassment.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They really dug in, defended well and in numbers and made it extremely difficult for us to break them down. Well organised and drilled and can see why they have caused so many upsets on that pitch previously.

Shouldn't every team be like that.

At least the pitch brought back memories when every league pitch was like that at this time of the year, either a swamp or a sandy beach.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
If anyone was expecting a win to be a formality then they know nothing.

Firstly we're getting sh*tter by the game. Yes lots of possession, lots of shots (pathetic ones) etc but we have little cutting edge, fail to take chances and can't defend.

Secondly Newport know this and would have been right up for this game and rightly so and yes they do have a good history in the cup.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm also crediting Newport for lack of gamesmanship.

No rolling around, no asking for bookings, no diving, no keeper taking ages to do a goal kick.

Newport are a proper football club, playing football the right way.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They did well. I thought they were going to be a bit braver but they defended better than I thought they would. Should have a good chance to be promoted this season, had some reasonable quality on some of their players.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20210111_144300.jpg

http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50858&start=135

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here