Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leicester

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is sad for Leicester, and I do have some affinity for them, done a few holidays in Leicestershire and twice done a stadium tour of the Walkers/King Power. It is a hugely impressive arena and is deserving of EPL football but Everton with all their history and huge support are a top division institution and I am glad they ultimately stayed up.
You must be chuffed that a big club like Villa are back in their rightful place in Europe too, eh Crodo?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Funny article for a number of reasons:-

What makes them think Leicester are rightfully a top flight club in this football hierarchy? Championship at best.

They actually thought the atmosphere at their identikit and part paid for stadium had an atmosphere at some time???!!!

The only issue with clappers was the cost......

They think the Ashburton Army are creating an atmosphere and are the reason for Arsenal's improvement.....

Good riddance to them, what a bunch of weirdos they must be.

Funny reading about mobile ticketing, fan ID at away games, over zealous stewarding, paying for ticket exchanges etc etc. They believe this was the reason they sunk and use it as a warning to others, including us.

We're already there thanks, have been for a while as progress on the pitch has been achieved.

The real reason for them sinking, as with Southampton, is the change in ownership and the change that leads to. They fail to understand that though. Hopefully something we'll not see for a long while.
I'll be honest, the author lost me way before I got to the middle of that.

This bit essentially summed up why Leicester are where they are, especially the bit about the (joint) record number of relegations. That, alone, tells you that a demotion to the Championship beckons:

"But isn’t it also utterly deflating that Leicester City, after a 5,000/1 Premier League triumph, a handful of European Tours, an FA Cup, a £100m training ground and becoming known globally, are now notching up a joint-record (with Birmingham City) of the most relegations (12) from the top tier to the second tier of English football?

For what it's worth, I'm not blinkered enough to think that Brighton will never go down – I half expect it because (as I THINK he was trying to say) every team has their natural 'place' and those punching above or below won't be there forever. However, I'd like to think that the club has contingencies in place for if/when that happens.

What comes across from that Leicester fan is a certain element of 'it's not fair – everything/everyone was against us', which is just bobbins. It's a combination of factors but, ultimately, your team of very good players weren't very good enough of the time. But they'll be back in the PL at some point – before they get the outright record for relegations. It's seemingly just what they do!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
That article is just a full on, lying on the floor in Woolworths next to the Pick'n'Mix, balled fists, legs in the air, screaming toddler tantrum. The headline and introduction has little to do with the content and the content has little to do with reality. Leicester were, for years, an archetypically wasteful basket case club.

They were relegated from the top tier in 2001/02 and went into administration in October 2002. Although they were £30 million in debt, they didn't sell players like Muzzy Izzet, Paul Dickov & Ian Walker and instead, were promoted straight back. The outrage this caused among their competitors was a significant trigger for the introduction of FFP.

They then got very lucky with rich and generous owners and crapped all over the FFP rules that their actions played a big part in ushering in. They cheated their way to promotion, chucked a £3m fine at the Football League and then became the fairytale tiny Leicester of 2015/16. Following their ECL adventure they continued to spend money they didn't have to the point where they are again being monitored for financial fair play, this time by Uefa. The whole Leicester story in the 2000s has been about short term money trumping sustainability. To associate themselves with Brighton and Brentford, who have continuously cut their cloth and concerned themselves with what was and was not affordable over the medium and long term is an insult.

Leicester are Viv Nicholson. They won the big prize and they spent, spent, spent it. By all means celebrate that the gamble paid off and you got a once in a lifetime win for a provincial side, but if your success is based on gambling, have the decency not to blame others when the inevitable happens and the luck runs out.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That article is just a full on, lying on the floor in Woolworths next to the Pick'n'Mix, balled fists, legs in the air, screaming toddler tantrum. The headline and introduction has little to do with the content and the content has little to do with reality. Leicester were, for years, an archetypically wasteful basket case club.

They were relegated from the top tier in 2001/02 and went into administration in October 2002. Although they were £30 million in debt, they didn't sell players like Muzzy Izzet, Paul Dickov & Ian Walker and instead, were promoted straight back. The outrage this caused among their competitors was a significant trigger for the introduction of FFP.

They then got very lucky with rich and generous owners and crapped all over the FFP rules that their actions played a big part in ushering in. They cheated their way to promotion, chucked a £3m fine at the Football League and then became the fairytale tiny Leicester of 2015/16. Following their ECL adventure they continued to spend money they didn't have to the point where they are again being monitored for financial fair play, this time by Uefa. The whole Leicester story in the 2000s has been about short term money trumping sustainability. To associate themselves with Brighton and Brentford, who have continuously cut their cloth and concerned themselves with what was and was not affordable over the medium and long term is an insult.

Leicester are Viv Nicholson. They won the big prize and they spent, spent, spent it. By all means celebrate that the gamble paid off and you got a once in a lifetime win for a provincial side, but if your success is based on gambling, have the decency not to blame others when the inevitable happens and the luck runs out.
Yep. Well said.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You must be chuffed that a big club like Villa are back in their rightful place in Europe too, eh Crodo?
Not particularly given the noise from some Villa family, huge club though they are. 'You'll never beat the Villa!' was the chant I got over the phone last night, I hope Europe is ready for the tens of thousands of Brummies and Midlanders taking over their towns and cities next Autumn.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Funny article for a number of reasons:-

What makes them think Leicester are rightfully a top flight club in this football hierarchy? Championship at best.

They actually thought the atmosphere at their identikit and part paid for stadium had an atmosphere at some time???!!!

The only issue with clappers was the cost......

They think the Ashburton Army are creating an atmosphere and are the reason for Arsenal's improvement.....

Good riddance to them, what a bunch of weirdos they must be.

Funny reading about mobile ticketing, fan ID at away games, over zealous stewarding, paying for ticket exchanges etc etc. They believe this was the reason they sunk and use it as a warning to others, including us.

We're already there thanks, have been for a while as progress on the pitch has been achieved.

The real reason for them sinking, as with Southampton, is the change in ownership and the change that leads to. They fail to understand that though. Hopefully something we'll not see for a long while.
Lessons for Brighton and Brentford?! A huge factor in LCFC's relegation (funnily enough, not mentioned in the article) was the character of their team...far too many players who didn't seem interested, not up for a fight. We know that BHA spends a huge amount of time understanding the character of players we sign. I'm sure Brentford do, too. Our team is FULL of guys who will always give 100%. That's the important lesson that Leicester should have learned from us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here