Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leeds United

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Twitter comments in response to that post highlight a trend that I've noticed where supporters of other 'big' clubs argue that Man City had no history before the oil money arrived. However, previous to the takeover, City had nine major trophies (2 league, 4 FA Cup and 2 League Cup wins plus a Euro Cup Winners Cup). Obviously that's not in the same league as what they've done since they became the richest club in the world, but it would still put them in the all time top ten. (4 trophies and several places above Leeds).

The accusation of historyless new money arrivestes seems to fit Chelsea much better than City, They had won only four titles (1 each of League, FA, League Cup and Cup Winners Cup) before first the Matthew Harding, then the Ambramovich money arrived. Obviously they acknowledge this themselves in jest - one of their forums is called 'We Ain't Got No History', but in recent times, I've seen the moan aimed far more at City than at Chelsea, perhaps because Chelsea's money has been around since the nineties.

It's perhaps a reminder that all of these big clubs were also rans until money arrived. It just seems that the longer ago the money arrived, the more generally accepted their position becomes. Its both an insight into how class privilege / aristocracy works in general and a pointer to how meaningless the concept of 'big clubs with history' really is. All clubs (except perhaps MK Dons) have a proud and meaningful history in the community that they serve and that, not trophy / fan / twitter user counting, is really all that matters.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion, lets get back to laughing at the entertaingly deluded amongst Leeds' fanbase.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Soz if already posted and discussed on nsc, but I came across this video of a Dirty Scum mob beating three Albion fans on the floor.

God I hope they get relegated.

Age restricted I see, so it’s 91yI1KeWJe0

24F415C7-294B-4B5A-BA84-266DC9926A41.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed it is silly.

To brag about supporting the biggest club is like bragging about eating at McDonalds because they are the biggest foodchain.

Even worse is when fans of really big clubs like Manchester United brag about the size of the club, not understanding that "I'm a United supporter who has never been anywhere near Old Trafford" essentially means "I have no personality whatsoever."
Corrected for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here