Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Laurie Claydon RIP

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington
Sad news from Worthing and for anyone who knew this great stalwart of local football and cricket, the passing of 'Sir' Laurie Claydon who pretty much ran, organised fixtures and collated results for the local football leagues, Evening Cricket League and founder member of the Committee for the Sussex Invitation Cricket League for more than 50 years. Sadly never recognised with the honours he should have received for his dedication to football and cricket a true gentleman who loved taking in as many games of football or cricket in a day as he could and was hugely respected by all who had contact with him over the years. Condolences to his family, a truly great innings. RIP Laurie 😥

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Very sad news. Laurie was a local legend and, as you say, deserved some recognition for his services to local sport. When I was playing parks football, it was always good to have a quick chat to him as he wandered around the Rotary Ground and Hill Barn, keeping an interest in all the games going on whether they were in the leagues he administered or not.

There is an article in the latest edition of the Worthing Journal talking about the decline in parks football and includes a nice reference to Northbrook FC . Laurie was the fixture secretary for the Worthing League from1963 to 2015 - an amazing 52 seasons of service to local football. He also scored their first ever goal in 1952.

Not sure if he posts on here but his son Neil was a big Albion fan.

RIP Laurie - to use a cricketing term, that was one hell of a valuable innings you played there.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Had the pleasure of talking with him dozens of times many years ago when I ran my local football club.

Always calm, always thoughtful, always helpful, and always fair.

A wonderful man and a genuine legend in local football.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sad news. I met Laurie a few times in my cricketing days and Neil from the days when I used to go to games with the likes of Roy Chuter.

And yes, if anyone ever deserved an OBE it was Laurie. :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very sad news. Laurie was a local legend and, as you say, deserved some recognition for his services to local sport. When I was playing parks football, it was always good to have a quick chat to him as he wandered around the Rotary Ground and Hill Barn, keeping an interest in all the games going on whether they were in the leagues he administered or not.

There is an article in the latest edition of the Worthing Journal talking about the decline in parks football and includes a nice reference to Northbrook FC . Laurie was the fixture secretary for the Worthing League from1963 to 2015 - an amazing 52 seasons of service to local football. He also scored their first ever goal in 1952.

Not sure if he posts on here but his son Neil was a big Albion fan.

RIP Laurie - to use a cricketing term, that was one hell of a valuable innings you played there.
RIP Laurie.

I can vouch that his son Neil has dabbled at least with the Albion as it was he I went with on my first few games as a 15 year old way back in the day in 1975 ish.We lost touch after moving on to college etc etc..my sympathies to all the family and those close..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here