Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Latest TV Mark McGhee on Knight, McCammon and the Coca Cola kid

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
A solid interview. Not very substantive, but interesting what he was saying about Bloom's involvement in his firing. I didn't think he'd started getting involved that early? I thought he got more involved at the end of the 08/09 season where Russell Slade worked his magic to keep us up? Or is that just when he became more involved publically but had been pulling strings behind the scenes for a while?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A solid interview. Not very substantive, but interesting what he was saying about Bloom's involvement in his firing. I didn't think he'd started getting involved that early? I thought he got more involved at the end of the 08/09 season where Russell Slade worked his magic to keep us up? Or is that just when he became more involved publically but had been pulling strings behind the scenes for a while?

First game of the season 04/05 Derby away, Barry Lloyd was our summariser on BBC SCR, on the M40 outward journey he imparted this nugget of information, "Dick Knight will be Chairman of Brighton all the time Tony Bloom wants him to be".

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I really liked Mark Mcghee, only ever heard good things about him as well. I remember being at Bristol City away, one of his last or even his last and there were quite a few boos from the fans that day but was still a surprise he went.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
First game of the season 04/05 Derby away, Barry Lloyd was our summariser on BBC SCR, on the M40 outward journey he imparted this nugget of information, "Dick Knight will be Chairman of Brighton all the time Tony Bloom wants him to be".

Oh blimey, thanks for that! So Tony's been involved for a lot longer than I realised. It was also interesting hearing Mark McGhee's take on Leon Knight - what a shame that potential was never fully realised.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Oh blimey, thanks for that! So Tony's been involved for a lot longer than I realised. It was also interesting hearing Mark McGhee's take on Leon Knight - what a shame that potential was never fully realised.
Somewhere in Oatway's book it mentions that Bloom offered to pay for the players end of season holiday if they got promoted, I think as early as 2002 if i remember right. Crazy how long he'd been on the scene without any supporters knowing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Tony Bloom was putting money into the club long before he took over. Martin Perry stated the finance for the stadium was in place at Hove Town hall, during one of the fans Q&As. Yes the club was going to get a bank loan, but when the banks went kaput, the plannning permission and public inquiries still went ahead.
There were quite a few sceptics on Nsc questioning Knight & Perry, but nothing could be said until permission had been granted, although the planning inspector and government knew there was finance in place.
Tony Bloom took over once planning permission had been granted.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Somewhere in Oatway's book it mentions that Bloom offered to pay for the players end of season holiday if they got promoted, I think as early as 2002 if i remember right. Crazy how long he'd been on the scene without any supporters knowing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tony Bloom was putting money into the club long before he took over. Martin Perry stated the finance for the stadium was in place at Hove Town hall, during one of the fans Q&As. Yes the club was going to get a bank loan, but when the banks went kaput, the plannning permission and public inquiries still went ahead.
There were quite a few sceptics on Nsc questioning Knight & Perry, but nothing could be said until permission had been granted, although the planning inspector and government knew there was finance in place.
Tony Bloom took over once planning permission had been granted.

I didn't know any of this, thank you both for adding these comments. I wonder what might have happened had the planning permission not been granted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tremendous interview [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]. Loving this series. All the best to you Ian :thumbsup:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Nice interview. Always liked Mark McGhee, one of my favourite albion managers and always just seems like a genuine guy with a love for football

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nice interview. Always liked Mark McGhee, one of my favourite albion managers and always just seems like a genuine guy with a love for football

One of my favourite away games was at Selhurst with McShane.
Before the game Mark McGhee said he had never lost there, no matter which team he managed.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very good. I see Bryan Bedson at functions. He would an interesting one but your aim must be a Bill Archer interview.

D

Deleted member 2719

Great interview, and I remember seeing you absolutely off you head in a pub outside the stadium. I was wondering whether you even remembered Leons pen.:lolol:

As for MM, saying Knights attitude was not right, I am sure he was right, he and CKR always thought they were better than brighton, but so did Mark McGhee.

I didnt know about the little boy killed so my respect goes to Mark on this,but he was never my cuppa tea.

Ps. Did Mark only agree to do the interview if you mention Scotland or something? :lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Great interview, and I remember seeing you absolutely off you head in a pub outside the stadium. I was wondering whether you even remembered Leons pen.:lolol:

As for MM, saying Knights attitude was not right, I am sure he was right, he and CKR always thought they were better than brighton, but so did Mark McGhee.

I didnt know about the little boy killed so my respect goes to Mark on this,but he was never my cuppa tea.

Ps. Did Mark only agree to do the interview if you mention Scotland or something? :lolol:

Believe or not, didn’t have a drink till we went off air at Cardiff, bur have to admit embarked on a bender straight after 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here