Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Last night's officials

Last night's officials. Is it......

• Conspiracy

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Subconscious bias

Votes: 61 77.2%
  • Much ado about nothing. They were good.

Votes: 17 21.5%

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Lets play Dermot Gallagher spot the difference:

On field decision in favour of United:
"VAR can't intervene because (of it) being a subjective decision": https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12266495/ref-watch-sympathy-for-dean-at-old-trafford

On field decision in favour of Brighton:
"Has an obvious goalscoring opportunity been denied? That depends on whether you consider Webster is coming across."
https://www.skysports.com/football/...g-to-intervene-and-send-off-brighton-defender

Of course all he ever does is back up whatever decisions were made by his former cronies, but I'd like to see him put on the spot and hear the weasel words he would use to explain how 'depends on whether you consider' is not subjective... and if it is, why VAR can now intervene when it couldn't last season.

Interestingly, VAR has been tweaked again this year and one of the tweaks was VAR will no longer award penalties for any contact from a defender to an attacker. A lighter touch will be the policy, with only clear contact that impedes the player or blatant fouls being penalised. In marginal calls, the penalty will not be awarded.

So this season, he could have been right about the Welbeck decision, but definitely wrong at the time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not an official, but Lee Hendrie was an AWFUL pundit.

Granted that's probably not the first time that's been said, but I watched him on SSN for the closing 30 mins or so and he changed his mind about whether "Brighton were going to get something out of this" or not like the wind! One moment, he could see an equaliser coming, then it was "All Manchester United. They're just seeing the game out."

He also thought it was a red. Then he thought it was a yellow. Then a red, then a yellow and finally he agreed – when the ref had BRANDISHED the card, that it was, indeed, a sending-off offence.

Not just Brighton though. One moment United were all over us, then they were all over the shop.

Funny bloke.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Another issue is when are the FA going to charge United for failing to control their players, given all 10 outfield players surrounded the ref in an attempt to get Dunk a red. I was under the impression that this had been clamped down on, obviously I was wrong.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
No foul on Ali Mac before their second? No second yellow for Shaw? No second yellow for McTominey? Quite right to allow the quick free kick for their second after preventing us taking one earlier?

I don't think any of those non decisions affected the result of the game. Shaws 2nd yellow was in injury time, mctommys 1st was 5 mins before the end. You are clutching at straws complaining about things that led to their 2nd goal - we were already losing. Brighton were the architects of their own demise. Mistakes from biss& dunk & var cost the game. & sanchez is lucky not to be on that list too

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here