Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Large Asteroid passes Earth this evening

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Strewth - if it collides with the Astra satellite, it will put Sky TV out of action - the end of civilisation will surely follow.

As I don't have a saucepan large enough, I'll have to make do with a wok.

There are actually 3 Astra satellites and 2 Eutelsat satellites at that geostationary position all used by Sky , Freesat and other operators.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wonder what would happen if it ploughed into the MOON.

It might knock it spinning off its orbit and straight into us, like some gigantic cosmic PLANT shot.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
goddess_gaia-1.jpg
It's art yeah !

Earth Goddess

Orbiting stately
in formal procession
around Sol with
her sisters
Gaia sings in tune
with my soul.

She steps daintily
dodging asteroids and
solar storms
Her magnetic corona
brilliant
The aura of her laughter
echoing ghost-like
in the wan light of
a polar sun.

Tropical depressions
spin clock-wise
Coriolis dreams
circle in search of purchase
tossed by fretful storms
and jet- stream airforms
that burdgeon with
the cries of spirits yearning
for love
lost to life swirling down
into a vortex of
undreamt possibility.

Hips spanning the Atlantic
her girth a sensual mound
of earthen expanse
her breasts suckled by
scions of air and light
the atmosphere itself
a fountain
of heavenly delight.

Eyes deep as oceans
brown as muddy waters
carried by the Nile
Amazon shores green
and filled with life flow
into the Blue Danube
beyond the sight
of humankind.

Earth Goddess she is
her soul split in
infinite reflection of
femininity
her eyes
her legs
her hips
her breasts
formed and reformed in
every shape
color and size
Venus quantified.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

It might knock it spinning off its orbit and straight into us, like some gigantic cosmic PLANT shot.

Apart from wiping out Armstrongs footprints, it wouldn't do a lot. Might be fun to watch though. Interestingly, the moon was formed by a smallish planet, called Thea hitting the earth, the remains of which are now our moon.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apart from wiping out Armstrongs footprints, it wouldn't do a lot. Might be fun to watch though. Interestingly, the moon was formed by a smallish planet, called Thea hitting the earth, the remains of which are now our moon.

Thats one theory. Another one is that a devine all-seeing omnipresent celestial being created it out of plastercine and No More Nails during a quiet Thursday lunchtime.

Or something.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Asteroid 2012 DA14: how to spot it | Stuart Clark | Science | guardian.co.uk

Space rock 2012 DA14 is only 50 metres across. It will pass the Earth on Friday evening (UK time) just 17,100 miles above our heads. There is no danger of a collision. Nevertheless, this is closer to the Earth than many artificial satellites.

It will pass from the southern to northern hemisphere and set the record for the closest pass of any known asteroid since systematic surveys of the sky began in the mid-1990s.

According to Don Yeomans of Nasa's Near-Earth Object Observation Programme, an asteroid like 2012 DA14 flies this close on average only once every 40 years.

This time around, however, the next one is due sooner than that. On 13 April 2029, Apophis will pass Earth closer than the ring of geostationary satellites. But, at an estimated distance of 19,400 miles, it will not break the record set tonight.

As for 2012 DA14, this could be its last close pass. Earth's gravitational field will significantly alter the asteroid's orbit around the sun, reducing its orbital period from 368 to 317 days. This will mean most of its orbit will be inside that of Earth's.

The next time the asteroid draws near to us will not be until 2046, again on 15 February. Then it will only come to within about a million miles of our planet, or about four times further than the moon. So if you want to see 2012 DA14, this Friday is the night to try.

Nasa Television will broadcast a live webcast during closest approach on Friday, featuring commentary and images from telescopes around the world (if you are using a mobile device, click here). It will start at 19:00 GMT (19:00 UT, 14:00 EST, 11:00 PST).
I clicked there. Nothing happened.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Only read the thread title. Was it Leon Knight?

- - - Updated - - -

Only read the thread title. Was it Leon Knight?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thats one theory. Another one is that a devine all-seeing omnipresent celestial being created it out of plastercine and No More Nails during a quiet Thursday lunchtime.

Or something.

Nope, I think that's just about sums up religion nicely. A bodge job to fool the masses and make money, sounds about right, it's worked for 2000 years.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Sadly, the moon weighs about a thousand million million times more than the meteor, so not an awful lot would happen :p

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Should be visible in the sky shortly, clouds permitting, look North at the horizon.

2012DA14-pathsmall.png

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Should be visible in the sky shortly, clouds permitting, look North at the horizon.

2012DA14-pathsmall.png

Not to the naked eye though? It would be like seeing a pea on the horizon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here