Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lallana On Brighton Departure

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What would you guess he was on a week? And where in terms of top earners at the club?
He signed a three year deal on very high wages by our standards. Included in that was a signing on fee, as he joined on a free. He then signed a further year's contract for last season. I've no idea what that amounted to but, given the understanding of how much he could play and the fact that he wouldn't have got a big wage elsewhere, about £50-60k a week. I suspect that'd put him about tenth in terms of earners.
These figures are guess work (any figures bandied around will be guess work). We have information from the club's accounts about wage spend but that's agglomerated data, and it's also revealed a year after the event.
With Lallana, many assume that the extra/fourth year's contract that he signed was on the same amount as the first three. I just don't buy that. If it was offered, then I'd doubt the infamous negotiating insight of Bloom and Barber.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He signed a three year deal on very high wages by our standards. Included in that was a signing on fee, as he joined on a free. He then signed a further year's contract for last season. I've no idea what that amounted to but, given the understanding of how much he could play and the fact that he wouldn't have got a big wage elsewhere, about £50-60k a week. I suspect that'd put him about tenth in terms of earners.
These figures are guess work (any figures bandied around will be guess work). We have information from the club's accounts about wage spend but that's agglomerated data, and it's also revealed a year after the event.
With Lallana, many assume that the extra/fourth year's contract that he signed was on the same amount as the first three. I just don't buy that. If it was offered, then I'd doubt the infamous negotiating insight of Bloom and Barber.
The figure I heard the most during his time here was £70k pw. No idea if true, or if it changed over time, but it kept popping up in articles, and various Twitter stuff.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Absolutely right. ‘Farewell to a legend’ the club Insta said earlier.

I’m sorry, but 94 appearances over 4 years with only a handful of managing the full 90 minutes does not make you a legend.

Glenn Murray is a legend.
Lewis Dunk is a legend.
Bobby Zamora is a legend.
Peter Ward is a legend.

Adam Lallana is not. Not even close.
The club lost leave of its senses when Lallana left.
I wonder what they‘ve got planned for Welbeck who is a nice chap AND consistently contributed on the pitch.
Or to go up several more levels…..what about when Dunk leaves?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Absolutely right. ‘Farewell to a legend’ the club Insta said earlier.

I’m sorry, but 94 appearances over 4 years with only a handful of managing the full 90 minutes does not make you a legend.

Glenn Murray is a legend.
Lewis Dunk is a legend.
Bobby Zamora is a legend.
Peter Ward is a legend.

Adam Lallana is not. Not even close.
Bruno is a legend.
That anyone would say anything different says more about them rather than Bruno.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I think you’re right and the 50k-60k is a good estimation of the last year of his contract.

If was reduced though it wouldn’t be surprising if the 75k per week was somewhat accurate for the first 3 years?

I still think if you average it out over the 4 years he had to be in our top 5 earners. Other that Fati and Dunk (maybe Mitoma’s new contract) I can’t think of many more. Certainly not 9 players.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Bruno is a legend.
That anyone would say anything different says more about them rather than Bruno.
As a player, yes 100%. As a member of the coaching staff? Not for me and as he wouldn’t be coming back as a player I don’t see what he would bring that couldn’t be brought by someone who would not divide the fans given the manner of his departure. Some still love him, others myself included, don’t want him back in any guise. So why bring him back, could well cause unnecessary division amongst fans?

Although re reading I don’t think you are suggesting he come back, just that as a player he has legendary status, which he certainly has

Last edited:

el punal

As a player, yes 100%. As a member of the coaching staff? Not for me and as he wouldn’t be coming back as a player I don’t see what he would bring that couldn’t be brought by someone who would not divide the fans given the manner of his departure. Some still love him, others myself included, don’t want him back in any guise. So why bring him back, could well cause unnecessary division amongst fans?
I very much doubt that he would come back. In what capacity? With FAB now our new manager he would surely bring in his own choice of staff. We await and see on this one.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Although re reading I don’t think you are suggesting he come back, just that as a player he has legendary status, which he certainly has
Does that same logic work for someone like Calderon ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here