Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lahaina Maui -- Wildfire destroys the whole town

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
I know this is not footy related but parts the island that I now call home have just been decimated by an extraordinary freak wildfire fuelled by 50 to 60 mph winds from a far-way hurricane. I see it made the lead story on the BBC website and on our national news. Our skies are clear but the winds are still howling.

Our humble grass hut sits on the north side of the island, and the fires are elsewhere, but my 26-year-old son who worked as a bar manager in Lahaina has lost his workplace, apartment, and beloved Jeep to the fire. He reports body bags in the streets. Fortunately he is safe but as roads in and out of West Maui are closed, he is stuck and slept last night in a friend's car. The whole town resembles a nuclear ground-zero. The whole town, a tourist Mecca, has been totally erased. All boats in the popular harbor were caught in the inferno and have sunk. The town has a 200-year plus rich history, and it's all gone now. The thousands of visitors are being sent home, and arrivals told not to come. We have 2 other major wildfires elsewhere as the winds are still crazy strong, My office in South Maui is under threat now.

Anyway I just wanted to share that Paradise has its downsides too. Erupting volcanoes and now infernos. I also wanted to let my friends on NSC know that the Maui contingent is okay and ready for the weeknd as a welcome distraction. Enjoy the game, lads and lasses, and Aloha!

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
An awful situation, and I feel for your son, although others are far worse off as you've said. I hope the winds die down soon, and that they are able to get a handle on the fires. I've only been on Maui once, but I remember Lahaina had a lot of history - it's devastating to think that's all gone. Obviously nothing compared to the loss of human life, but I recall a freakishly large and magnificent banyan tree in the town centre; I expect that is no more. Hang in there mate.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I saw before and after pictures on a Twitter post this morning, but hadn't actually read what had happened. Awful news, I hope you and KLS Junior will be OK.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
@Ken Livingstone Seagull , we go back so far on NSC here.

You've been very much in my thoughts today and wish you and your family the very best at this difficult time.

It sounds horrific both with your description and the pictures that have come on. It's top story on the BBC 1pm news.

Stay safe and keep us updated when you've got a moment.

caesar

Oct 9, 2005
I got married in Maui 28 years ago . Beautiful island and wonderful people . Our wedding organisers office was based in Lahaina so I have vivid memories of the lovely old town . So glad your family are ok and hopefully the fires will be under control soon and the rebuilding can start .

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I’ve been more than a bit concerned for you and yours KLS since seeing the appalling news about Maui. So sad about your son’s place and his work. It sounds just unbelievable but very relieved to hear that you’re ok, big hugs to you and all the family from across the various ponds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here