Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ladies World Cup Final

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Apologies if already posted, but with the King and Queen of Spain attending the final, anyone else embarassed that no one from our royal family was there ?
Charles and Camilla chose to spend the weekend in Scotland, but even worse, the heir apparent and President of the FA, couldn't be arsed. Sunak could have flown from his Californian holiday home.....I gather the Foreign Secretary was there, but wouldn't have known who it was !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seemingly the excuse was the King was supposed to be the first to visit a Commonwealth country, but that doesn’t hold up, because Princess Anne visited NZ earlier this year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apologies if already posted, but with the King and Queen of Spain attending the final, anyone else embarassed that no one from our royal family was there ?
Charles and Camilla chose to spend the weekend in Scotland, but even worse, the heir apparent and President of the FA, couldn't be arsed. Sunak could have flown from his Californian holiday home.....I gather the Foreign Secretary was there, but wouldn't have known who it was !
Opportunity for Starmer, other royals?

Non-story for me, if any of them had gone (including Starmer/other royals) there would be a headline about carbon footprint.

Damned if you do etc…..

Edit - @Brovion beat me to it

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m cool with it, as long as they never fly to any other sporting event we’re in again. Or if they want that, they buy a ticket privately and sit with the rest of us.

The point of a head of state is to represent the people. If you can’t do your job, then trot on.

You imagine the girls wanted to see James bloody Cleverley? I mean, they’d be forgiven for thinking he was probably something to do with FIFA.

Shameful. The Queen of Spain bothered to show up!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If William, or Sunak, (probably especially Sunak), had gone you just know someone would have used that as a stick to beat them with. "Climate emergency and they fly half way round the world just to watch a football match? Disgraceful!"
Do you seriously think that if the men had reached the final in Qatar that William and Sunak would have said "No, not going, think of the carbon footprint"?

Sunak would have been arranging tickets as the final whistle was blown at the semi

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really that bothered for the carbon footprint reason.

But as has been said, the King is meant to be head of state. That's his "job". Not attending this event pretty much tells you all you need to know about the royal family. They do what they want, when it suits them. Being King isn't a "job".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do you seriously think that if the men had reached the final in Qatar that William and Sunak would have said "No, not going, think of the carbon footprint"?

Sunak would have been arranging tickets as the final whistle was blown at the semi
Oh I'm quite sure they would have done. And people would still have complained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here