Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knocky on target

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I said a while ago it was a mistake and we should take him back. I was criticised.

Yet AJ was given a chance to play Potter ball, why not Knocky? I’m not saying it was a sure thing, but we owed him a chance.
We owed him? We owed him what? - and why? - we've paid him a few million pounds, and have arranged for him to get a few more playing in the Championship for the next couple of years. I would say he's done alright out of us, wouldn't you?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We owed him? We owed him what? - and why? - we've paid him a few million pounds, and have arranged for him to get a few more playing in the Championship for the next couple of years. I would say he's done alright out of us, wouldn't you?

Well we didn’t owe AJ a chance either by that measure, right?

I mean from the clubs perspective. Who knows AK may have got of to a flyer and been a perfect component of Potterball. All just seemed a bit hasty to me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well we didn’t owe AJ a chance either by that measure, right?

I mean from the clubs perspective. Who knows AK may have got of to a flyer and been a perfect component of Potterball. All just seemed a bit hasty to me.

Nothing to do with 'owing' anybody. What a daft way to look at team selection/transfer policy..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I said a while ago it was a mistake and we should take him back. I was criticised.

Yet AJ was given a chance to play Potter ball, why not Knocky? I’m not saying it was a sure thing, but we owed him a chance.

March, too. I do think there's more to it. Probably had a run-in with GP early on - or Potter just decided he didn't want someone with his temperament in the squad.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Nothing to do with 'owing' anybody. What a daft way to look at team selection/transfer policy..

Semantics. Ok, forget that word.

The player is an asset. Seems churlish to discard said asset without trying him in the new managers system. That is completely logical from a business and football perspective.

That said I suspect it was most likely an attitude or someone falling out with someone else. Will wait for the book.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Potter jettisoned a few players very quickly - clearly had his reasons. No dickheads rule and tactical or a bit of both in most cases probably. He’d have seen enough before he signed to have formed a view......couple of weeks of training will have confirmed it.......

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
In summary, a great Championship player 3-4 years ago. Nothing since has suggested he can make the step up to the Prem, or he still has the magic he showed us in the Championship

He was not given much opportunity to shine under the defensive Hughton system. You say he couldn't make the step up to the Prem, yet he created more goals for us than any other player last year, was voted by neutrals as man of the match when we played against one of the best teams in the world, and also scored our 'goal of the season'.

What's your opinion of Solly March, do you think he's made the 'step up' better than AK? What about Bong? Both still at the club. I would say Stephens is struggling at times, too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Knocky is just not a Potterball player.

The goal against Fulham is classic Knocky, no looking up to pass, just dribbling and a shot. He gets one or two per season whilst normally breaking down a lot of fast passing moves because when he receives the ball he considers the following three things first.

1. Can I shoot.
2. Can I run with the ball.
3. Can I beat a player with a bit of dazzling skillz.

Potterball is:

1. Prior to receiving the ball, try and pick your pass.
2. Pass positively with first or second touch.
3. Only shoot if you have a good sight of goal.

Knocky won’t change. Potter knew this and shipped him out. Izquierdo, March and Ali-J are obviously buying in to Potterball - Knocky (and I consider him an Albion legend) just can’t and is struggling at Fulham now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was not given much opportunity to shine under the defensive Hughton system. You say he couldn't make the step up to the Prem, yet he created more goals for us than any other player last year, was voted by neutrals as man of the match when we played against one of the best teams in the world, and also scored our 'goal of the season'. .

He provided us with enough attaching moments in 60 odd games for us to notice that he was far less effective in the Prem than the Championship, for the reasons I gave. His stats state that his crossing and shooting accuracy was a mere 26 and 27% respectively. That’s pretty woeful. Would he have flourished under Potter? Who knows. But what we do know is Potter saw him day-2-day and made a call and shipped him out ASAP. One would have thought if he wanted to become a Prem player again he’d knuckle down at Fulham. The reports I hear suggest this isn’t the case. I think his best days are now behind him; which is a shame.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's your opinion of Solly March, do you think he's made the 'step up' better than AK? What about Bong? Both still at the club. I would say Stephens is struggling at times, too.

I do feel Solly has taken his chances much better. Very different player but I feel he has raised his game in the Prem. Bong, as an orthodox left back he’s fine but behind Bernardo when it comes to selection. Agree with Stephens.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just scored against Borough

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Leeds have a game in hand, but if Fulham win, they're only four points off auto promotion! The top two were out of sight a few weeks ago [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The new Barnes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Semantics. Ok, forget that word.

The player is an asset. Seems churlish to discard said asset without trying him in the new managers system. That is completely logical from a business and football perspective.

That said I suspect it was most likely an attitude or someone falling out with someone else. Will wait for the book.

He was already beginning to ‘fall out’ with CH earlier on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Knocky is just not a Potterball player.

The goal against Fulham is classic Knocky, no looking up to pass, just dribbling and a shot. He gets one or two per season whilst normally breaking down a lot of fast passing moves because when he receives the ball he considers the following three things first.

1. Can I shoot.
2. Can I run with the ball.
3. Can I beat a player with a bit of dazzling skillz.

Potterball is:

1. Prior to receiving the ball, try and pick your pass.
2. Pass positively with first or second touch.
3. Only shoot if you have a good sight of goal.

Knocky won’t change. Potter knew this and shipped him out. Izquierdo, March and Ali-J are obviously buying in to Potterball - Knocky (and I consider him an Albion legend) just can’t and is struggling at Fulham now.

Nailed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here