Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Keith Levene - RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I posted on the song of the day thread, my son went to college with his son. Keith had had some drug issues but was still turning up to bat (this was 15 plus years ago).

I shall post one of his pieces of great loveliness.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
RIP.

Youth has just posted this on FB:

Fly high Keith Levine.
I’ve described Keith as my generations Jimmy Page. He changed the way people played guitar. He revolutionised the way the guitar was used and his contribution to the culture cannot be underestimated.
First met him at Lydon’s Gunter Grove Chelsea lair, as a teenager, where he was encamped in the basement as they were putting PIL together. Always cutting and sharp with occasional moments of lovely.
First worked with him with Mark Stewart and was blown away. Many sessions later, I always tried to find a way to get him involved in something interesting, like with Jah Wobbles A Very British Coup and Hollie Cook, Aurora Dawn and with Nik Turner (also just left the planet in the last 24 hrs ). His genius always shone bright in the work.
I loved his artwork and bought some pieces. But his legendary status rests with his unique and gentle guitar picking style, beautifully vulnerable ambient textures and then he switch It up into a sick shredding, scraping steel deconstructed rock sound, always turned me on. I described it like the sound of strangling swans.
The PIL sound became the sound of the future. Huge influence on Killing Joke and countless other bands and artists.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
That's brilliant. Cant underestimate how ground breaking his guitar work was playing with Wobble on those first two PIL albums. A generation of post punk guitarists came through on the back of Metal Box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here