Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] JWP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not in this case…….JWP sprung back so quickly after the kick was taken it was obvious………WTF he was actually doing though is anyone’s guess :lolol::lolol:

The Hokey Cokey?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Beeb

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl blamed Alex McCarthy for their 1-1 draw with Brighton after the goalkeeper failed to say he was playing injured.

Neal Maupay turned home a 98th-minute equaliser for the Seagulls after the ball was floated into the box following a blocked free-kick.

Hasenhuttl said he would have replaced McCarthy for the set-piece if he knew the extent of his hamstring problem.

"Alex must be definitely more professional than that," he said.

Maupay was crucially played onside by James Ward-Prowse, with Hasenhuttl saying his captain had raced back to cover McCarthy's left-hand post from Jakub Moder's free-kick because the goalkeeper feared he was not mobile enough to protect the entire goal.

"If you have a goalkeeper that is not 100% fit in that moment and cannot jump and then you send someone back into the line, then the rebound that comes out is normally offside," the Saints boss added.

"But Prowsey's there, so he has a free shot at goal. This is something we cannot accept. There must be a message, 'I cannot jump', and then we can make a change.

"Today I had one change
and I couldn't take it because he didn't say anything and this, for me, is not acceptable."​

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
After he gave it the big one in front of the North Stand during last season’s COVID game, I wish nothing but misery on Ward-Prowse.

And yes - Ralph has had a massive strop because McCarthy didn’t say he was injured, which is why JWP was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hasenhuttl is being a disingenuous arse about this, throwing McCarthy under the bus, to deflect from yet more points thrown away under his charge.

He knew full well that the keeper was injured - they had a defender taking his goal kicks for him all second half, because his hamstring was done.

Ralph is being a prick, and I can’t see it playing well with his squad.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hasenhuttl is being a disingenuous arse about this, throwing McCarthy under the bus, to deflect from yet more points thrown away under his charge.

He knew full well that the keeper was injured - they had a defender taking his goal kicks for him all second half, because his hamstring was done.

This, all the way.

I wouldn't be surprised if his days are numbered.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Third choice keeper in for the next game…….:lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What was he doing at our goal. Have seen players on line or between wall and goal but never seen a defender rush back like that before.

I'm sure I've seen it a few times over this and last season.

In the days of goals on Sunday, Kammy would often talk about how the keeper sets the wall to cover one side of the goal, then has to trust it to work and stay to his side of the goal. If the FK taker gets the ball over or around the wall into that side of the goal, then he just has to accept a great free kick. Which seemed to be the general accepted philosphy. But in recent times, certainly over the last year or so, there has been an increasing tendency for a defender to drop out of the wall and cover that side of the goal. I have a clear memory of it happening at the amex, a good looking shot getting headed over by the defender dropping back. Much like the player laying behind the wall, it's just a modern tactic, or one that has started to be used again (he says in case someone older comes along remembering it being done in the 50s).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What was he doing at our goal. Have seen players on line or between wall and goal but never seen a defender rush back like that before.

Happened at the Amex once, was it Leicester maybe, the defender rushed back and headed the ball away which was a certain goal had he not done do

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whatever happened to him. Has he played for Burnley yet?

45 minutes for Burnley U23s this season.

He’s not even made the bench for the 1st team once but seems to be fit.

His contract runs out in June but so far, each EPL appearance has cost Burnley about £100k (that’s the opposite of the value they normally get out of players) if you divide his transfer fee by his 10 appearances.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have a number of friends who are Southampton fans and to a man they think he's crap. I must say I agree with their central point, which is that if you take away the set plays, he contributes very little. One of the most overrated players in the Premier League among neutrals who don't actually go to games.

See also Mings, Tyrone and Stones, John.

Is he over rated? He has a year left on his contract and no one really showed any interest

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm sure I've seen it a few times over this and last season.

In the days of goals on Sunday, Kammy would often talk about how the keeper sets the wall to cover one side of the goal, then has to trust it to work and stay to his side of the goal. If the FK taker gets the ball over or around the wall into that side of the goal, then he just has to accept a great free kick. Which seemed to be the general accepted philosphy. But in recent times, certainly over the last year or so, there has been an increasing tendency for a defender to drop out of the wall and cover that side of the goal. I have a clear memory of it happening at the amex, a good looking shot getting headed over by the defender dropping back. Much like the player laying behind the wall, it's just a modern tactic, or one that has started to be used again (he says in case someone older comes along remembering it being done in the 50s).

Yeh, it was the Derby game late in 2016 when we needed a win to only have to draw at Boro the week after. I think it was Knocky that took the free kick and the defender managed to get back to head it over and prevent us going 1-0 up.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

I was thinking exactly this - how to easily disunite your team in two minutes. Incredibly immature.

I’m sure McCarthy was already feeling gutted after suffering a hamstring injury and then watching his team (again) concede a later equaliser.

I’m sure he didn’t expect his own boss to put in the final boot….

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

100%

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It also doesn't send a great message to the keeper on the bench, as it was 100% obvious that McCarthy should be subbed, but Hasenhutl obviously didn't fancy putting Harry Lewis on the pitch. He may have no choice next weekend!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I remember the game at the Amex last season where JWP took the corner that led to their goal, then he turned to the few Brighton fans allowed in the East Lower and celebrated with a fist pump. It's always nice when there's some sense of payback.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Annoyingly, I didn't see him, and so thought Maupay was WAY offside, so didn't get to have a really good cheer. Instead wondered what all the idiots around me were jumping up and down and shouting for. Spoilt things a bit, really.

Same - watching at home with, ahem, Russian commentary I didn't celebrate at all as it seemed destined to be VARed out.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Unless I'm mistaken he also gave the ball away which led to the attack which resulted in the foul on the edge of the box - not sure it could be any sweater unless he actually gave away the ball for the free kick as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here