Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
May I remind you of the poll tax riots - brought change and brought down Thatcher
Not how I remember it ! The poll tax rioters wanted an end to Tory Government as much as the downfall of Thatcher. It was Geoffrey Howe’s “Dead Sheep” resignation speech 10 months later that brought about her downfall - over the EMU of all things! Her whole cabinet told her that her position was untenable in a series of 1 on 1 meetings. Thatcher was brought down by the Conservative Party who continued to govern for another 7 years.

I work hard. I own a shop … with shop windows

When I meet people who support a certain strike, I always ask, “Has there ever been a strike you didn’t support?”

I’m beginning to feel the same with protests.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not how I remember it ! The poll tax rioters wanted an end to Tory Government as much as the downfall of Thatcher. It was Geoffrey Howe’s “Dead Sheep” resignation speech 10 months later that brought about her downfall - over the EMU of all things! Her whole cabinet told her that her position was untenable in a series of 1 on 1 meetings. Thatcher was brought down by the Conservative Party who continued to govern for another 7 years.

When I meet people who support a certain strike, I always ask, “Has there ever been a strike you didn’t support?”

People who strike work hard too. Think of the hours a junior doctor or nurse has to work, pay for parking, with colleagues leaving every week, so their workload is increasing because they won’t see patients suffer.
Think of rail staff who have been told they are being laid off as a result of the pay offer, whilst the CEOs get six figure bonuses.
Think of teachers, whose pay offer is going to come out of the school budget, so no new books, repairs or stationery. Teachers are already buying paper, and pens for their pupils.

Look more carefully into the strikes, and protests and you’ll see pain and suffering, and stop congratulating yourself for working hard.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
People who strike work hard too. Think of the hours a junior doctor or nurse has to work, pay for parking, with colleagues leaving every week, so their workload is increasing because they won’t see patients suffer.
Think of rail staff who have been told they are being laid off as a result of the pay offer, whilst the CEOs get six figure bonuses.
Think of teachers, whose pay offer is going to come out of the school budget, so no new books, repairs or stationery. Teachers are already buying paper, and pens for their pupils.

Look more carefully into the strikes, and protests and you’ll see pain and suffering, and stop congratulating yourself for working hard.
yes, very strange. All strikers decide to do so as a last resort by democratic vote and they don't get paid while on strike, so it's not something taken lightly. That's why they have solidarity with other strikers whatever the cause because in the main the issue is they are being trampled over by their employers. You would have thought a shopkeeper would want people to have more money in their pockets to spend in their shops !

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022

My working hard was more a reference to protestors who are protesting against government- smashing up independent businesses like mine mate and having to listen to people who support them. Those people tend to support every protest regardless.

On the subject of strikes - some are justified some are not, I form opinion based on the individual situation. My point was there are people who simply support every strike ever

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

You’re first para is how I recall it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My working hard was more a reference to protestors who are protesting against government- smashing up independent businesses like mine mate and having to listen to people who support them. Those people tend to support every protest regardless.

On the subject of strikes - some are justified some are not, I form opinion based on the individual situation. My point was there are people who simply support every strike ever
I went on strike as a civil servant and stood on a picket line. I didn’t see any strange faces from those I worked with. Maybe the ‘people’ hadn’t heard about our strike?

Ps we won because the government were trying to retrospectively change a pension scheme.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I went on strike as a civil servant and stood on a picket line. I didn’t see any strange faces from those I worked with. Maybe the ‘people’ hadn’t heard about our strike?

Ps we won because the government were trying to retrospectively change a pension scheme.
I was a union rep for a few years, never recommended going on the gate over wages as it just cost too much money - asking for 5% and getting offered 2% 25 years ago but a couple of strike days and it meant months of the 3% just to break even. Workers rights/supporting unfairly treated colleagues/ defending custom and practice all fair enough reasons

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sophie Hurcom, BBC Sport at Twickenham

"What a crazy, dramatic, chaotic few minutes.
Out of nowhere, three protesters run onto the pitch, throwing orange powder around with them - the residue of which is still lying in patches on the Twickenham grass.
No sooner have they been caught and dragged off by security under a swarm of boos ringing around the ground, Saracens are on the attack straight from the restart and score a try."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Looks like one of thie activists has made it to the middle of the Twickenham pitch during the Premiership final. Orange powder everywhere.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Did you hear the boos? Winning hearts and minds :rolleyes:
"We've got some pitch invaders at Twickenham from Just Stop Oil. Three people run onto the pitch and throw their orange paint onto the pitch."
Thumbs up: 68
Thumbs down: 410

"Some of the biggest cheers of the afternoon come as the pitch invaders are tackled the ground and removed."
Thumbs up: 175
Thumbs down: 20

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/rugby-union/65652934/page/2

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh no, won’t somebody please think of the toffs on a jolly?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An odd take.

I've not seen a single individual protest designed to win people over.
I don't imagine the thought process was 'yeah hopefully they'll all walk home'.

It was probably something like 'lets get on the news and get more publicity'.

Screenshot_20230527-161327.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here