Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just saw my first Video Ref decision...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
PL needs this

So much better than the unexplained nonsense we get. There'd still be some disagreement on subjective calls but at least we'd hear whatever the justification is.

Yeah but imagine the F’ing and blinding and the number of apologies the tv commentators would have to make as players argue their case :wink:

That was a good watch though

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
PL needs this

So much better than the unexplained nonsense we get. There'd still be some disagreement on subjective calls but at least we'd hear whatever the justification is.

I agree it's better for those viewing at home, but, unless it was broadcast and shown in the stadium and on the big screens, fans in the ground would still be none the wiser.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah but imagine the F’ing and blinding and the number of apologies the tv commentators would have to make as players argue their case :wink:

That was a good watch though
Referees already have the tools to red card offensive language. They need to use them. It would soon stop.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Stick it on the big screen
Very unlikely IMO. They don't replay contentious decisions, so it's highly doubtful they would run through the whole VAR fallout for everyone to see. In the perfect world, that would be the best way, but I just can't see it happening.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I mean, if you're watching the game, you can see the contact and understand why the ref gave it, and why the defenders are contesting it as soft. Why do we need to have access to the discussion to understand it? When did we all become idiots who need everything spoonfed to us?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I mean, if you're watching the game, you can see the contact and understand why the ref gave it, and why the defenders are contesting it as soft. Why do we need to have access to the discussion to understand it? When did we all become idiots who need everything spoonfed to us?
Yes at home clarity on VAR isn't an issue ( unless they're making stupid decisions)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

When the PGMOL started issuing apologies post-match for f*** ups made in games.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It's not necessary in the ground if you're paying attention to the game.
You might be some sort of cross between an owl and a hammerhead shark, but personally I struggle to make out the details of a challenge made at the other end of the pitch.
Not that having the decision explained in the ground bothers me, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss it with "you're not paying enough attention to the game".

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Can we all agree that the system at the Women's World Cup is a waste of time? What's the point in the ref announcing the decision over a mic but without any explanation?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agree to an extent but it's helpful in creating some empathy for the referee who's getting opinions from all sides and explains his thought process. Only has merit retrospectively but it would be interesting. I'd love to hear the conversations from the Spurs game last year.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
PL needs this

I imagine this is because it's Clement Turpin and he has a good level of respect from players. Curious if they would let other referees do this.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
When the PGMOL started issuing apologies post-match for f*** ups made in games.
I would have loved to hear the audio of the Spurs match last season. Those of us in the ground were sort of shrugging our shoulders when one by one the decisions were going against us. Its the contentious decisions where I'd like to hear what the ref and var had to say to each other (unredacted), even if its a few days after the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here