Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just how much of a big club is Brighton now? And how big can we get?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
More successful in the past doesn't mean bigger.

The only sensible way to define the size of a football club is by its current ability to sign the best players.

The biggest clubs have a gravity that relates to their size. The best players are always drawn inexorably towards the biggest clubs.

money mainly

Like it or not , clubs are perceived by size throughout the whole pyramid. If money is the same then players will choose clubs on size as well. Lower leagues especially.

Some people hate this argument but I quite like it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The likes of Leeds and Everton will always be far bigger than us, all things considered, that's just a fact.

Leicester, Southampton, etc, is where we should be aiming for in terms of big-ness (yes I know Leicester are currently third in the league and won it not long ago).

I don't buy that. Always is a long time! Here are the teams from the 1950/51 Division One (in order they finished). All familiar but lots of clubs there have gone South and some "fixtures" in the Big 6 missing. 10 or 20 or 30 years in the Top 10 and kids in 2050 will have no perception of us as anything other than a top club.

Tottenham Hotspur
Manchester United
Blackpool
Newcastle United
Arsenal
Middlesbrough
Portsmouth
Bolton Wanderers
Liverpool
Burnley
Derby County
Sunderland
Stoke City
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Aston Villa
West Bromwich Albion
Charlton Athletic
Fulham
Huddersfield Town
Chelsea
Sheffield Wednesday
Everton

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
rather chequered history ?

pre 1960 their decade average attendances were 47k / 31k / 36k

They'd won 5 league titles and been in 2 FA cup finals

along with 50 + years in div 1

Nothing like us at all
I wasn't being entirely serious...

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We are not a big club but we are working on it. You only get to be a big club by winning something which we have not done. Bloom is correct in aiming to be a top ten club and once you are there you may win the odd cup and push up higher. I feel we are on the verge of something special and Potter could be special. I could not see that Ryan needed replacing but obviously he did etc. Onwards and upwards.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I think we’re about the 33rd biggest club in the country at the moment. I can live with being in and around the top third considering our recent history.

It seems the younger generation are starting to see us this way too (country wide). Only a few years ago we would’ve been considered ‘small’. I always knew we were weren’t ‘small’.

We won’t be considered much bigger than now until we win a cup, or finish in the top 10 for quite a few seasons in a row.

Doing well in the cups will help a bit and I don’t mean just being winning them. Quarter finals, semi finals and finals will all help. This is why I never get the ‘We’ll never win the cup, so why bother’ argument. Getting to the latter stages are decent achievements for us. Even Watford have more FA Cup semi finals than us! They’ve even spent more time in the top flight than us. Both statements are true for Palace. My dream is that those statements won’t be true one day and, even then, we probably still won’t be considered big!

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
A few posts have talked about us not having a history - full stop. Fair enough it you say we don't have a history of winning the premiership or European cups but to say leeds have a bigger history than us is to misunderstand the concept of history. We have a rich history full of significant events; battles for survival, the odd success like getting in to the top flight again. We made club history last week... Who can say what our history might be for my kids when they are my age if we maintain our current trajectory. And even if we nosedive it will still be our club and our history.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I hope we stay a Brighton, coastal towns and Sussex club. I pity Liverpool fans. They see a Liverpool shirt and have absolutely no idea where that person is from or has roots to. Whenever I see an Albion hat, scarf or shirt outside of Sussex I always wonder which part of GOSBTS they are from. I like the fact that we were a club with no success but big crowds in the third division. I hope we win a cup and have some success on the field, but I want the Albion to remain "ours".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here