Jury Service

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In September last year I was called up to do Jury Service, I had to defer by a year because I was going into my final year of my degree. I am due to do it this summer but need to get out of it. I am due to start a job in October, need to move to London, have training for my job and both my grandparents are in and out of hospital at the moment so its really inconvenient...

Anyone managed to get out of it or know a way to do it ? I doubt just telling them what I have written above would be inadequate.

I was called up 18 months ago and deferred for a year. When it came round again, I sent them an email saying that due to health reasons (genuine) it would be difficult for me. They accepeted that quite happily and excused me. Surprised me a little that they didn't ask for proof - which I could easily have given.

I got a long and horrendous child abuse case. Never want to do it again.

I have to say, last time I was on Jury service I was picked as one of the fifteen for another trial on the Thursday of the 2md week, the Judge asked us to make it known if we were picked as one of the twelve to make it known if we couldn't sit on a trial scheduled for another 2 to 3 weeks. I got picked and let him know it would be difficult and he stood me down. The charges were then read out, 5 counts of sexual assault against a child.

I was very relieved to not be on that one.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How does it work with getting paid from your work for the time away? What if you work on commission?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How does it work with getting paid from your work for the time away? What if you work on commission?

They ask if your company will pay you. If not they pay a fixed weekly amount. It wasn't that generous when I did it but it might have changed since then.

They ask if your company will pay you. If not they pay a fixed weekly amount. It wasn't that generous when I did it but it might have changed since then.

Sounds about right. My company paid me the full amount even if you were sent home in the morning.

Not sure about commission, how would you work it out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports