Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Juan Mata

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Why haven't we sent Bruno to sing his mate on a free?
I know the wages would be high, but as it would be on a free surely we could pay him a signing on fee to cover the difference?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I know the wages would be high, but as it would be on a free surely we could pay him a signing on fee to cover the difference?

Would be a great signing and add to team generally .him and lallanna rotating ?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Small matter of wages….. (and the fact we have better options already)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If lallana went I’m sure he would be a great replacement. But too many similar players doing a good job in his position already.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Why do we need him when we have Groß, MacAllister and Trossard for that position?

Exactly this. We already have players who would be just as or more effective. Signing Mata wouldnt be a Lallana situation where we're signing a 30/31 year old who still has more years at the top left in the tank. Juan Mata is 34 now and last season couldnt get into that awful Man United squad. Mata might be able to spray a few passes around and contribute a few assists but generally he wouldnt have the legs. No point in signing him while we have Lallana, Mac Alister, Trossard, Caicedo, Gross.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
outstanding player, dont think he'd cover the defensive side enough to suit our squad.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Sounds like you think it’s a good idea.
Tell us why

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think his Premier League days are done. He needs to go back to La Liga.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm sure if we wanted him we could sign him, but I don't think we want him. There's no obvious hole in the squad for him to be honest. He could potentially be a slight upgrade on Groß, but then again Pascal is an Albion legend and I'd rather have him in there.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely mental suggestion which is very reminiscent of some of the more insane player suggestions we used to get in the past.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are a club who looks to the future. Juan Mata is a player from the past.

To be fair, I think we have quite a balanced approach to transfers like this - afterall Lallana was signed in a similar circumstance Mata finds himself in, as was Welbeck. We seem to have a nice balance of development players coming in, buying young unknown talent AND bringing in experienced old heads. Given Lallana's injury record, Mata coming while unlikely is not without some logic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here