Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] JPR Williams - RIP

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It must’ve been my working class football fan roots, during games I was very partisan, despite being a young kid. But all harmless. I loved the Friday evening programme the day before, presented by Max Boyce I think.

Toby jug forwards, Windsor-Price-Faulkner, incredible back row players and backs, great times.
The Pontypool front row.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really shocked to see this. He seemed indestructible - he was still playing club rugby in his 50s.

What a player - absolute flair. He made modern full-back play, turning it into a glamour position.

I shook his hand once, in the bogs at the Millennium Stadium - there was a crowd around him naturally. He was in his 60s then but still a star.

Gorffwys mewn heddwch

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Except when they annoyingly outclassed/outfought England. Over a sustained period, 20 of the greatest ever players?

Coinciding with THE magical commentary of Cliff Morgan.
For at least 10-15 years it was as if England had turned up to see how the game should be played, didn't like the Welsh winning by cricket scores but you could not help admiring them. What is usually not mentioned was their fearsome pack who got the ball back to the flair players (all the aforementioned but you have to include Phil Bennett and JJ Williams)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For at least 10-15 years it was as if England had turned up to see how the game should be played, didn't like the Welsh winning by cricket scores but you could not help admiring them. What is usually not mentioned was their fearsome pack who got the ball back to the flair players (all the aforementioned but you have to include Phil Bennett and JJ Williams)
Exactly. I think what helped is that in that era England were either rubbish or utter rubbish, and so when we played Wales there was never any anticipation of an England win so we were never (that) disappointed to be on the receiving end of another masterclass. (And it was their national sport. I'd cling to that.)

As someone else mentioned yesterday was a bad day for those of us sports fans who grew up in the 60s and 70s. :(

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
I was on a rugby tour of South Wales in the early 80s with Cardinal Newman school and we had a guided tour of the National stadium as it was known then.Bill Harriman who was the grounds man told us that JPR always got nervous before a game and on one occasion had thought that the ball that was to be the match ball neede air
Can you put some air in it please Bill it’s a bit flat JPR asked Bill who said yes of course
He took the ball went to his office put the kettle on and took it back threw it to JPR and said”there you go John”
He gave it a squeeze and said “that’s better Bill “ which at the time tickled us all
Life was a lot simpler then 👍🤣

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
When playing for his club against the all blacks he got rucked and had a huge gash across his cheek with blood pumping out.

At half time with the teams still on the pitch (they didnt go back to the dressing room in those days), his father ( a doctor) put in 30 stitches with no local anaesthetic and he went back out and played second half.

After the game there was a mother and father of a punch up between the teams in the toilet area between the 2 dressing rooms.

That evening, there was an official dinner attended by the 2 teams. Williams father was Bridgend president and he referenced the injury in his speech causing most of the all blacks to walk out

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
JPR is an absolute legend and I had the privilege of watching him play live for Bridgend vs Saracens when I was only 8.

RIP JPR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here