Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jonathan Pearce's son...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
... Supporters both The Albion & palace.

How is that even possible?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Far too much is made of the Albion/Palarce rivallry. For my money our true enemy is to the west, (although we haven't played them for a good few years now).

Although it has to be said, how anyone can support more than one team, whoever they may be, is beyond me. Follow other teams results, yes maybe, but not actively support them.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Smart lad. Supports his local team. His mother is a Palace fan. With his mates to watch the Albion. With his mother to watch Palace.

I did a very similar thing. (I come from the Croydon area and moved to Sussex when I was 8 and my parents divorced). Went to the Goldstone with my school friends. Went to Selhurst Park with my Palace-supporting Dad and Grandad. Cheered for both teams without any feeling of divided loyalties.

Mind you I preferred going to Stamford Bridge to see Chelsea over both!

EDIT: This was late 60s, early 70s.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Far too much is made of the Albion/Palarce rivallry. For my money our true enemy is to the west, (although we haven't played them for a good few years now).

Although it has to be said, how anyone can support more than one team, whoever they may be, is beyond me. Follow other teams results, yes maybe, but not actively support them.
You always trot that out about Pompey but we've played them relatively few times and in most of Sussex they are not on anyone's radar at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You always trot that out about Pompey but we've played them relatively few times and in most of Sussex they are not on anyone's radar at all.

Not to mention the simple fact they have considerably bigger skate to fry.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In my 40 years it’s always been Palace,

The Palace rivallry really started to raise it's head in the 1970's, although l can still remember some pretty hot derby games with Pompey back in the 1980's and early 90's, although we have hardly played them since, the odd cup tie apart.

Prior to then though it was Portsmouth all the way, that's what l meant about traditional rivalries, as opposed to manufactured.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Go back a few decades and that most certainly wasn't the case. Derby games between the two clubs were truly massive. The Palace rivallry was largely manufactured during the 1970's.
Derby matches were also very rare (unless you go back to the 1920s) - three matches in Division 2 in the 60s, plus a couple of League cup ties. For most of the two club's existence they haven't been in the same division.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

And they don't give a shit about Brighton. It's nonsense.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Go back a few decades and that most certainly wasn't the case. Derby games between the two clubs were truly massive. The Palace rivallry was largely manufactured during the 1970's.
That's true. We've had this discussion (many times) before. Prior to the mid 70s and the Palace rivalry we didn't have a 'proper' rival. Teams came and went as the seasons passed. If you'd asked me at the time I was going to Brighton and Palace who the clubs' rivals were I would probably have replied "Bournemouth and Charlton respectively". Other Brighton and Palace fans of that era would probably have given different answers, probably depending on age (I was young at the time). But yes, Portsmouth would definitely have been mentioned, indeed I believe dear old BensGrandad (RIP) always maintained that Pompey were our old pre-Palace rivals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with the other older folks on here that in the 60s it was pompey, and that the Palace rivalry occurred in the 70s. As a lad in the 60s I covered my bedroom wall with footy pix cut from Shoot magazine (till I discovered Sounds and band posters in 1970) and I distinctly recall that among the two page colour spreads sellotaped hither and thither was a team photo of The Glaziers. Meant nothing then.

I would also add that we deveoped some other good rivalries during our dog days, the most notable and local being that with Orient, or oriscum as [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] used to call them :lolol:

Asyway, as posted on another thread, these are memorable....

palace 1.PNG

palace 2.PNG

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Palace rivallry really started to raise it's head in the 1970's, although l can still remember some pretty hot derby games with Pompey back in the 1980's and early 90's, although we have hardly played them since, the odd cup tie apart.

Prior to then though it was Portsmouth all the way, that's what l meant about traditional rivalries, as opposed to manufactured.
All rivalries are 'manufactured'. Pompey is NOT a traditional rivalry. We played Portsmouth 3 times at home in the 60's, big deal.

We have played Portsmouth a grand total of 43 times. To be a rival, you have to play one another a decent number of games. We've played palace 102 times. They are the nearer club for most residents of Sussex.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here