Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jim Parks RIP

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Thanks for posting that [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION], yes I felt sure all those great Sussex names had played together at some point! What a scorecard, packed with history and memories - Dexter 203, just unreal. To save money I often cycled down to the road just east of the ground and watched the play for hours between the houses! A small group of folks used to stand there on the pavement :D.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for posting that [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION], yes I felt sure all those great Sussex names had played together at some point! What a scorecard, packed with history and memories - Dexter 203, just unreal. To save money I often cycled down to the road just east of the ground and watched the play for hours between the houses! A small group of folks used to stand there on the pavement :D.

I have mentioned this before, but my Dad was a cricket nut, playing all over the world in the Navy, and then umpiring when he got too old to play.
He came out of the Navy in the 60s and started work for CVA (later Kearney & Trecker) They had several factories around before amalgamating them in Hollingbury. One of which was Eaton Road.
Every lunchtime, in summer, when there was a match on, he'd climb up to the roof and eat his lunch there. Grandstand view.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Also noticed on the card John Langridge as one of the umpires , named by Wisden as the best English batsmen of the 20th century never to have played a test match

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I have mentioned this before, but my Dad was a cricket nut, playing all over the world in the Navy, and then umpiring when he got too old to play.
He came out of the Navy in the 60s and started work for CVA (later Kearney & Trecker) They had several factories around before amalgamating them in Hollingbury. One of which was Eaton Road.
Every lunchtime, in summer, when there was a match on, he'd climb up to the roof and eat his lunch there. Grandstand view.

Brilliant memories rekindled from a simple cricket thread:smile:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also noticed on the card John Langridge as one of the umpires , named by Wisden as the best English batsmen of the 20th century never to have played a test match

I interviewed John Langridge for The Cricketer back in the day: what a lovely bloke he was. He lived near Withdean stadium and I spent a delightful hour or so with him. One of Sussex's greats. He still, with Ted Bowley, holds the record for the highest opening partnership for the county.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I once had the pleasure of Jim's company. Sky talking about Frank Tyson reminded me.

Jim and Sussex first encountered him in a match at Northampton. He basically told of how the Sussex dressing room were shitting themselves having not seen the likes of him.

It's probably the 1954 match he is referring too. Jim managed a half century.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here