Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele comments

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
These are comments to BBC Radio Sussex

"Look at what we have had to go through in the last three weeks. We have had like 15 senior players," he told BBC Radio Sussex.

"Some people don’t know half the stuff people have been carrying which sums our group up. We will do anything for each other.

"That is where we had to dig in the last few weeks and to bounce back from some tough results and we have such a strong leader in Lewis [Dunk].
"It's the best achievement of my life. If you'd have asked five years ago 'would I be at the Amex celebrating getting into Europe?'- Not a chance!"
"Never ever give up on yourself."

This has put things in perspective a bit to me. We lost to Forest, Everton and Newcastle of course but looking back we played 8 games in less than 28 days. That is very difficult to do this late in the season and with the amount of injuries we had. It's actually incredibly impressive that the losses we did get didn't set us back massively in the long run (we didn't lose 2 or 3 games in a row). Huge credit to the players and judging by Jason's comments, many were likely playing with injuries also

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Interesting about the "stuff people have been carrying..." comment. Undav had time out for personal issues, I'm pretty sure – and that's just one example (and he's got four goals in six games and got better over that run).

The run of games in a short space of time was certainly not ideal – and it's obvious that the squad isn't built for the whole 'three games a week' scenario. But I'm almost certain it will be next year. Getting players in early is a great start, plus it's got to be a bit easier now, with the added carrot of European football, no?

Finally, Jason 'Balls of' Steele – what a guy. Comes across as such a humble bloke who is making the most of everything that comes his way and is willing to really work at it. He's the first choice keeper for a reason...

Jul 7, 2003
Not forgetting that Pervis, Caicedo, Mitoma and Mac Allister all played in the World Cup while others got a short break.

breadman

Feb 13, 2022
Have any players been as ever present as Pervis and Dunky this season? Those two must be made of stronger stuff...

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Solly was clearly struggling before his injury against Everton. They've all put in a tremendous shift.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Really must strengthen further in the summer if we wish to be competitive on an extra front, we are stretched thin as it is, without a minimum of six additional matches and international travel.

Mwepu wasn’t replaced, nor Trossard. I expect this to be covered by a signing (Milner) and Adingra coming into the squad. Joao Pedro is another young option who is going to be treated as a senior player.

But that is for par, I think we need three more senior players on top of that, and that’s not accounting for potential outgoings (Veltman, Caicedo, Mac Allister).

I think we’ll sign an attacking right back, cover at left back, and a senior central midfielder.

Bombardier

NSC Patreon
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
We will undoubtedly lose Colwill so, we are down to three but one of those is injury prone and the other is just finding his feet. I would say a decent central defender is a must!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really must strengthen further in the summer if we wish to be competitive on an extra front, we are stretched thin as it is, without a minimum of six additional matches and international travel.

Mwepu wasn’t replaced, nor Trossard. I expect this to be covered by a signing (Milner) and Adingra coming into the squad. Joao Pedro is another young option who is going to be treated as a senior player.

But that is for par, I think we need three more senior players on top of that, and that’s not accounting for potential outgoings (Veltman, Caicedo, Mac Allister).

I think we’ll sign an attacking right back, cover at left back, and a senior central midfielder.
I think it's pretty obvious that the current squad wasn't one finalised with ideas on finishing in the top 6 this season. So the fact that they have got there, is pretty impressive in itself.

You're right, the squad will be upgraded next year – plus the young 'uns will have had valuable game time to help them progress – because a) we need to and b) everyone at the club wants to keep pushing upwards.

I'm not sure who will come in, or in what positions, but I'm excited!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here