Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele appreciation

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, really worth a listen for those who missed it on BBC Sounds - Steele really going big on the togetherness of the squad and also mentioning how he has been blown away not just by the likes of Julio and Facundo, but also the ones coming along behind (presumably the likes of Moran and Ayari)

The RDZ anecdotes were interesting.

Lovely guy, but he becomes an animal in training 5 a sides … or words to that effect.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Jason Steele says he reached a point where he "hated" football before rejuvenating his career at Brighton.

Steele has emerged as Europe-chasing Brighton's first-choice goalkeeper under Roberto de Zerbi this season.
But earlier in his career he was at a "tipping point" and needing to find a way to fall back in love with the game.

"There was a spell where I was at the bottom, properly at the bottom, to the point I wasn't even bothered about playing football anymore," Steele said.

"I'm not scared of it. I know I can bounce back from that, so failure doesn't scare me anymore," the 32-year-old added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65605627

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jason Steele says he reached a point where he "hated" football before rejuvenating his career at Brighton.

Steele has emerged as Europe-chasing Brighton's first-choice goalkeeper under Roberto de Zerbi this season.
But earlier in his career he was at a "tipping point" and needing to find a way to fall back in love with the game.

"There was a spell where I was at the bottom, properly at the bottom, to the point I wasn't even bothered about playing football anymore," Steele said.

"I'm not scared of it. I know I can bounce back from that, so failure doesn't scare me anymore," the 32-year-old added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65605627

Mentioned that he left social media at that time due to the keyboard hatred towards him and he never went back.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mentioned that he left social media at that time due to the keyboard hatred towards him and he never went back.
Bit of a shame that, if he was on it at the moment he would see a lot of love coming his way, but sounds like he is getting plenty from the team.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Good for him, but I hope we sign a starting goalkeeper in the summer who is a much higher standard than Steele. He's doing an excellent job and fair play to him for turning his career around by getting his head down, getting himself right mentally and physically - but is he a top end goalkeeper in the PL? Not for me.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Good for him, but I hope we sign a starting goalkeeper in the summer who is a much higher standard than Steele. He's doing an excellent job and fair play to him for turning his career around by getting his head down, getting himself right mentally and physically - but is he a top end goalkeeper in the PL? Not for me.
I think you’ll be disappointed. There are not many keepers that can do what RDZ wants with their feet and Steele definitely can.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think you’ll be disappointed. There are not many keepers that can do what RDZ wants with their feet and Steele definitely can.
I don't really back him to make difficult saves at all. He was fine against Man Utd, invisible against Everton and incredibly fortunate against Arsenal. He isn't a top goalkeeper and I wouldn't trust him to keep goal all season without letting us down with a lot of soft goals conceded. I'm sure we can find someone similarly competent with his feet who wants to play European football.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I don't really back him to make difficult saves at all. He was fine against Man Utd, invisible against Everton and incredibly fortunate against Arsenal. He isn't a top goalkeeper and I wouldn't trust him to keep goal all season without letting us down with a lot of soft goals conceded. I'm sure we can find someone similarly competent with his feet who wants to play European football.
I reckon RDZ cares so little about shot stopping abilities he might consider putting Dunk in goal next season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There will be a better shot stopper than Steele who is equally good with his feet. Either he'll cost far too much and we won't be interested, or our scouts and modelling experts will find and sign him.

In the meantime, I'm happy enough with Steele if he's good enough for RDZ because I think it's important to remember that if a keeper can pretty much play sweeper, then he fits into our way of playing. And if that is the case, then we have 70% possession rather than 40% possession, and shot stopping becomes approximately half as important.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Steele has the shirt and its his to lose - he suits the RDZ way so can't see him getting dropped for a while - nerves of Steele too

We have multiple younger keepers too

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Has been awarded a Bronze Award by Thom Gibbs in the Telegraph

Screenshot_20230531-183620.png

Joelintin got the Gold Award fwiw.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here