Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele (and general Albion love-in) on 5Live's Monday Night Club

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know it was mentioned on the Jason Steele thread, but it's probably worthy of its own thread so it gets noticed.

Jason Steele was on the MNC with Chappers, Sutton et al this evening, and it was a great listen. He started off talking about the lows in his career, a question prompted by the recent threats to Patrick Bamford, after his penalty miss, and Darren Moore, after Massive's play-off thumping. He said that coming to the Albion helped him fall back in love with playing football again.

Talk then turned to the Albion generally, yesterday's fantastic performance at Arsenal and the incredible season we are having. He mentioned how De Zerbi called him in and said he was going to be playing, but "it wasn't a present, you've earned it". He also said that De Zerbi is loving in the morning at training, but as soon as he puts his boots on and gets onto the training pitches he's an animal.

Anyway, the show has just become available to listen back. Scroll to about 1 hour 3 minutes to listen, and it's worth continuing after the Steele interview finishes for more Albion discussion which was ridiculously positive. Chris Sutton, in particular, couldn't have been more effusive about the impact De Zerbi has made on Premier League football. Enjoy!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Albion love in was a great listen, I think it lasted 30 minutes, then we kept getting mentioned in a positive way as they dissected the demise of Southampton.

The players love working under RDZ, he’s becoming a god :lolol: . I think TB/PB will be doing their utmost to keep him sweet in this coming transfer window.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Jason Steele says he reached a point where he "hated" football before rejuvenating his career at Brighton.

Steele has emerged as Europe-chasing Brighton's first-choice goalkeeper under Roberto de Zerbi this season.
But earlier in his career he was at a "tipping point" and needing to find a way to fall back in love with the game.

"There was a spell where I was at the bottom, properly at the bottom, to the point I wasn't even bothered about playing football anymore," Steele said.

"I'm not scared of it. I know I can bounce back from that, so failure doesn't scare me anymore," the 32-year-old added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65605627

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's brilliant! Got a LOT of time for Steele :thumbsup:

Nice bit of chat about the 'togetherness' of the squad at the end and highlighting 'proper guys', which he didn't have to, so I have no doubt it's true. Loved that Pascal dropped into Steele Jnr's birthday party!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Felt awful for him for the way he was treated at Sunderland as shown in the Netflix programme, must've been very difficult to overcome.

Never thought he would be any kind of fixture in our team but I'm delighted that he is.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
He's brilliant! Got a LOT of time for Steele :thumbsup:

Nice bit of chat about the 'togetherness' of the squad at the end and highlighting 'proper guys', which he didn't have to, so I have no doubt it's true. Loved that Pascal dropped into Steele Jnr's birthday party!
You know the germans love a bit of cake!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here