Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jack Smethurst - RIP

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
RIP

He lived to the grand old age of 89, and passed away surrounded by his family, other than the 5 series of LTN, he was an accomplished Thesp, something which hopefully be mentioned in his mainstream tributes.

I was once watched Vince Powell one of the writers of Love Thy Neighbour being interviewed and he was quick to point out that in the same way Johnny Speight did with Alf Garnett, Eddie Booth was invariably made to look stupid at the end of each episode, highlighting the futility and stupidity of racism, so the programme was probably years ahead of its time?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
RIP

He lived to the grand old age of 89, and passed away surrounded by his family, other than the 5 series of LTN, he was an accomplished Thesp, something which hopefully be mentioned in his mainstream tributes.

I was once watched Vince Powell one of the writers of Love Thy Neighbour being interviewed and he was quick to point out that in the same way Johnny Speight did with Alf Garnett, Eddie Booth was invariably made to look stupid at the end of each episode, highlighting the futility and stupidity of racism, so the programme was probably years ahead of its time?

I'm glad someone else has picked up on that point. By today's standards flawed but critically the key point is that the antics of
the two main characters really highlighted the stupidity of racism. And critically you laughed at them as opposed to with them.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm glad someone else has picked up on that point. By today's standards flawed but critically the key point is that the antics of
the two main characters really highlighted the stupidity of racism. And critically you laughed at them as opposed to with them.

Woah.

You're telling me that Smethurst's character, Alf Garnett and Peter Griffin are PARODIES?

Well I wish someone had let me in on the joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here