Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Grealish

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
At school a few years back - we live in Warwickshire - my son was encouraged to write a letter to someone famous. He wrote to Lewis Dunk. 3 of his Villa supporting mates wrote to Grealish and one of them even wrote to Christian Horner.

It's hard enough supporting Brighton up here - albeit considerably easier at the minute - but when Grealish responds to everyone with signed photos, Christian f***ing Horner responds back but we get radio silence from Amex central, it doesn't make it any easier.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am in the minority in that I like Grealish as a footballer, and he’s clearly trying to improve as a man. Little touches like this, where it’s come from within not an assistant or PR advisor etc, show that he is actively thinking about others.

The drink driving is very disappointing but I firmly believe in second chances, and he is showing a lot of humanity in his actions since.

And he is a wonderful footballer who gets a lot of stick from being fouled often. I don’t have him down as a diver at all, he simply has excellent footwork and gets rattled on the shins frequently as a result.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
His gesture with the goal celebration in the World Cup also showed incredible consideration for how to make disadvantaged kids feel special and a lack of self-centredness despite how some of his other actions come across. To remember, in that moment, is I think better than most people including me would manage to do. I can't even remember what I promised someone at work I'd do 2 hours ago unless I write it down.

If he's (rightly) criticised for massive twattery and being a poor role model to kids for some of this actions, he also needs to be praised for the way he'll be positively influencing them with things like this. Like most things, it's not black and white but nuanced, two sides to every coin etc etc - he can be, and is, a massive bell cheese in some respects and is also admirable in others, like many of us. This is really good, and great to see. Would like to know which other City player acknowledged the girl so it's not just a Grealish love-in though!

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not the brightest bulb in the light fitting but Grealish does seem like a genuinely likeable bloke and this act of simple kindness is typical of him. Nice one Jack!
Also, he's a great interviewee - generally gives an honest, humorous answer. I've grown to like him, after previously thinking he was a primadona and a cheat!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He’s just a good lad living the dream. Handsome, extremely talented, hard working, millionaire - the haters are just jealous.

He’s made mistakes like all young blokes but I love him. Fantastic baller, one of my favourite non Albion players.
He's a drink-driving degenerate swine.

But other than that I completely agree with you.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
He is perceived to dive a lot, but the reality is he gets fouled an awful lot. No way near the level of that Wilf cheat who recently moved to Turkey
Whenever I've seen him play (which I'll happily concede isn't a whole lot), he's either run at people in such a way that they have little choice but to foul him, or he's been yellow carded early on and then been utterly ineffective.
Neither of which are particularly how I like to see the game played.
He's clearly good with kids though.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
His gesture with the goal celebration in the World Cup also showed incredible consideration for how to make disadvantaged kids feel special and a lack of self-centredness despite how some of his other actions come across. To remember, in that moment, is I think better than most people including me would manage to do. I can't even remember what I promised someone at work I'd do 2 hours ago unless I write it down.

If he's (rightly) criticised for massive twattery and being a poor role model to kids for some of this actions, he also needs to be praised for the way he'll be positively influencing them with things like this. Like most things, it's not black and white but nuanced, two sides to every coin etc etc - he can be, and is, a massive bell cheese in some respects and is also admirable in others, like many of us. This is really good, and great to see. Would like to know which other City player acknowledged the girl so it's not just a Grealish love-in though!
Exactly and same with this. He's just played football. He's up getting his medal but takes time out to NOTICE this kid and make them feel special. He can be a total dick head in an array of other ways for all I care. Footballers have a very priveliged position and most will pay lip service when asked, but Grealish clearly really cares and I think that is really f***ing nice. (I get his sister has a part to play but he seems to consistently make young disabled people feel noticed and important and just like any other kid and I really love that).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
That took 30 seconds to make a memory for the girl that she will remember for the rest of her life.
But not just that 30 seconds. He's in a queue to collect a winners medal and thinking only of that medal when he sees the girl. His attention goes to her and her alone. Similar, as mentioned, to the world cup celebration he done.
For this I'll never hate the guy again, unless he falls over in the box v Albion with Dunk 2 metres away.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
That took 30 seconds to make a memory for the girl that she will remember for the rest of her life.
But not just that 30 seconds. He's in a queue to collect a winners medal and thinking only of that medal when he sees the girl. His attention goes to her and her alone. Similar, as mentioned, to the world cup celebration he done.
For this I'll never hate the guy again, unless he falls over in the box v Albion with Dunk 2 metres away.
Ok, so you can at least like him for a couple of months then!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Used to detest him second to only the SEGW but have done a complete 180 and really like him now.

Sure, he’s made some mistakes - but who hasn’t. Seems a decent lad lad and my kind of person with a big heart. Another example there.

Remember the celebration at the WC too…

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of those guys who plays with his heart on his sleeve, and this video shows he has a big heart, that would've meant the world to that little girl, well done Jack. I have not always been his biggest fan either, but he seems to be maturing into a fine player and an even finer man.

Plus he has my sister dripping like a busted fridge.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As a school teacher and coach this seems the obvious thing to do for any adult. But clearly I’m not earning multiple millions a year. Quite why that would be a reason for 21+ other adults to be antisocial is beyond me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In recent months, I've completely changed my opinion about the guy. He certainly now seems to get more good press than bad (such as those instances mentioned above), is a bit of a character in interviews (which is sometimes what the game needs) and says exactly what he thinks and doesn't try to be someone he's not. Plus he's managed to establish himself in the City team after a dodgy first season.

Top bloke.

Not joining the love in.

One of the most blatant divers I've ever seen.

OK, seems not a bad bloke in some ways
My impression is that he's cut out much of his diving since he went to City. I think it was the 'Villa Way' when he was there, and he was just particularly good at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here