Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's not just the Amex...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
'Famous Anfield atmosphere a myth'

It's not easy to admit this as a Red, but, quite often, the famous Anfield atmosphere really is a myth.

Having gone 2-0 down to Brighton, Liverpool rallied and went 3-2 up in the 64th minute - an impressive turnaround.

But the crowd's reaction to Liverpool's third goal, albeit an own goal, was tepid. A quick cheer and a smattering of applause, not the raucous celebration you'd expect from a big turnaround goal.

Why?

There is a sense of expectation from many who sit in Anfield - both day-trippers and season ticket-holders - that they should and will be entertained, especially during daytime matches against supposedly lesser opponents. But really, a supporter's job is to support.

It was almost like many who witnessed Liverpool's third goal were disappointed it was an ugly own goal and not a Mohamed Salah thunderbolt.

Sometimes the fans need to recognise when the team is in a difficult moment and make the noise to inject some energy and fight into their veins.​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/fo...3c43c8e5f7325d62a02d12&pinned_post_type=share

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Excellent point, excellent find, excellent post [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Colleague at work has been a season ticket holder at Anfield for decades - told me yesterday that atmosphere this season and especially on Saturday has been dead

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe they need to move the away fans, get a drum, or introduce song sheets? :dunce:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sing YNWA and then silence. Many have said the famous atmosphere is a myth, except maybe for a big Champions League game, or important Prem game. But every ground in the league would generate a good atmosphere for those games, so nothing to warrant any sort of tag.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't know, but I'd expect the atmosphere to be far better there when they are playing one of their rivals. For them a game against a "team like Brighton" is always going to be a bit meh, as rightly (or as it turned out again, wrongly), they fully expect to roll us over. From a home fans POV its not a fixture that will ever generate much intensity. I'll be honest, when it went to 2-2 I fully expected them to finish the job as well, so there was probably a collective 'relaxing' amongst the home fans as they waited to collect the points.

There'll be a cracking atmosphere there tonight I should think.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
legends and myths surround certain teams. Usually the ones that have had it too good for too long but others also. Once went to Sunderland v BHA at Roker Park and waited patiently for the famous Roker roar...... but it never materialised. Think teams like Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield massive and many others would leave the likes of City, Man Utd and Liverpool behind if they enjoyed similar success.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sing YNWA and then silence. Many have said the famous atmosphere is a myth, except maybe for a big Champions League game, or important Prem game. But every ground in the league would generate a good atmosphere for those games, so nothing to warrant any sort of tag.

There is a cycle. Look at Arsenal. Nice and noisy again, now. The library burned down. It was noisy when I went to Anfield a few years ago, and 15 years ago, and it will rise again. Bob the Social worker tells me it was shitehouse in the late 50s.

Likewise, every morning I wake up and it's dark. Then it gets light. Then dark again. Can't it make up it's fuggin mind? ??? :rant:

:wink:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I wouldn't know, but I'd expect the atmosphere to be far better there when they are playing one of their rivals. For them a game against a "team like Brighton" is always going to be a bit meh, as rightly (or as it turned out again, wrongly), they fully expect to roll us over. From a home fans POV its not a fixture that will ever generate much intensity. I'll be honest, when it went to 2-2 I fully expected them to finish the job as well, so there was probably a collective 'relaxing' amongst the home fans as they waited to collect the points.

There'll be a cracking atmosphere there tonight I should think.

Let's face it, we're not supposed to be in the position we are in now, just holding for a bigger club.
From a certain POV.

Any true fan will always follow their club, whether they're playing a bigger team or one that a lesser fan couldn't be assed to go to.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It goes with performances, taking the lead ….. at every club. Evening games when ticking those, is a whole different ball game. Alcohol?

Anfield was not a caldron of noise in the 70’s and 80’s on run of the mill Saturday’s. Old The Big Match games across all clubs reveal largely quiet stadia.

Score and play well, the crowd’s lifted … whether that be Arsenal, Brighton or Liverpool.

The home team starts lethargically, the away team on the front foot and then they score = an awful atmosphere.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Commentators seem very excited about the Anfield atmosphere tonight.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If Rangers rocked up at the Amex like this plenty of our fans would he going apoleptic

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
For me,

Sheff Wed - 2nd leg
Wigan
Burnley 9 men
St Patrick's day

But the atmosphere has been great lately and I'm really looking forward to Saturday, can't imagine why :thumbsup:

Just between you and me, I don't remember the Goldstone being great, but Wolves 3-2 in the cup was pretty good

wolves.jpg

we were up for that :wink:

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It goes with performances, taking the lead ….. at every club. Evening games when ticking those, is a whole different ball game. Alcohol?

Anfield was not a caldron of noise in the 70’s and 80’s on run of the mill Saturday’s. Old The Big Match games across all clubs reveal largely quiet stadia.

Score and play well, the crowd’s lifted … whether that be Arsenal, Brighton or Liverpool.

The home team starts lethargically, the away team on the front foot and then they score = an awful atmosphere.
Exactly this!! Even Lallana said so on 5 live before tonight's Liverpool game:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Leeds seem to be only club with a constant wall of noise, they’ve very deliberately made it their thing, during 20 years of EFL hurt. To the extent of banal chants and grunts voiced for 90 minutes.

Old Smellhurst is deadly quiet when they’re losing and being outplayed, the media completely overplay the contrived ‘atmosphere’.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
For me,

Sheff Wed - 2nd leg
Wigan
Burnley 9 men
St Patrick's day

But the atmosphere has been great lately and I'm really looking forward to Saturday, can't imagine why :thumbsup:

Just between you and me, I don't remember the Goldstone being great, but Wolves 3-2 in the cup was pretty good

View attachment 152453

we were up for that :wink:

Brilliant! Thanks for that memory - I was at the Darlington game but not sure about Wolves. Do you have the paper copy there?
In the photo, I'm struggling with Bobby Smith, back row 5th from the left...? Not THE Bobby Smith Shirley,was there another? And Alex Dawson is defo there and I thought he replaced Mr Smith...? help needed please!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here