Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Italian Chestnuts £5 per Lb this Xmas !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Today I purchased some from a well known Brighton greengrocer . £5 per pound - I needed 6 pounds to make the stuffing for Christmas Day . Cooked, shelled , crushed and mixed with a tiny amount of olive oil before being shoved up the Turkey . So that’s £30 gone just like that .

I won’t eat any other stuffing as once I had roasted chestnut stuffing about 10 years ago , I vowed never to eat any other stuffing at Xmas ever again . It is simply gorgeous. Sweet & moorish & delicate .

Italian chestnuts are the sweetest I’ve tasted but I’m thinking in a few years the stuffing cost could be more than the Turkey if the price keeps going up each year .

Merry Xmas to everyone.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Aren't chestnuts all over the place in Sussex?

I've been tempted to pick some up on my walking routes but never been bothered. Has anyone collected some and roasted them?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I never realised you could pick them wild in Sussex . They’re really popular in NY , not so much here . I think locals here are missing out .

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

I've been tempted to pick some up on my walking routes but never been bothered. Has anyone collected some and roasted them?

I'm not coming to you this Saturday if you are serving Horse Chestnut stuffing. We are supposed to be saving the NHS - not adding to their burden.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex

I live in the country in West Sussex and get loads on my dog walks. Some are a bit small inside so you need to collect more than you need.
The season is fairly short and over now.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think that’s why the Italian ones were so expensive- they are all really plump with lots of chestnut inside

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Even the local Spanish ones are 5e a kilo this year not helped by the exceptionally dry weather and the disease the trees in Europe are suffering. Bet Johnny Morris is finding the going tough this winter:wink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I wouldn't waste good chestnuts on a turkey.

If the Italians find out they'l put the price up

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't resist a paper bag of hot roasted chestnuts from a street vendor. Just the smell draws me in - Christmas in its purest form.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When I lived in France, the chestnut season coincided with the release of the new wine and the local Cave Co-operative had an open day withe the wine and roast chestnuts on sale. Two other treats in those days, making bread with a quarter of the flour replaced by chestnut flour and the sale in shops of chestnut jam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here