Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It worked out fine in the end!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
After Spurs I was thinking - sh1t...this season's going to be cruel. Fixture congestion, loads of tough matches to come, Liverpool getting their act together. And then injuries: Solly, Webster, Ferguson, Veltman, Lallana (again).

But amazingly RDZ guided us through it. Juggled the pack, coped without a right back for loads of games, brought in the youngsters, motivated the team to come back after some serious knocks. Amazing. And the upside (apart from finishing 6th!) is that players like Enciso, Buonanotte, van Hecke, Gilmour (avge age less than 20) all got serious game time and each of them proved they are excellent players.

What a time to be an Albion fan!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
RDZ proved absolutely right to rotate the players in those last few games, even if most of us were left open mouthed at a couple of pre match team selections
Many were open mouthed at the team selection for Wolves, but not as many as after the final whistle!
And yes, for every Wolves there is an Everton. But that's football.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Woulda been nice to get 5th- we deserved it after Spurs and Palace travesties, the pens not given v Villa, Leicester and Brentford, etc. And lots of games we dominated but somehow didn't win. There's no way Liverpool were a better team than us this season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Woulda been nice to get 5th- we deserved it after Spurs and Palace travesties, the pens not given v Villa and Leicester, etc. And lots of games we dominated but somehow didn't win. There's no way Liverpool were a better team than us this season.
What Liverpool had at the end was that consistency to ground out win after win - we didn't really have that at any point this season, a win or two would be followed by a disappointing result but we kept bouncing back.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
After Spurs I was thinking - sh1t...this season's going to be cruel. Fixture congestion, loads of tough matches to come, Liverpool getting their act together. And then injuries: Solly, Webster, Ferguson, Veltman, Lallana (again).

But amazingly RDZ guided us through it. Juggled the pack, coped without a right back for loads of games, brought in the youngsters, motivated the team to come back after some serious knocks. Amazing. And the upside (apart from finishing 6th!) is that players like Enciso, Buonanotte, van Hecke, Gilmour (avge age less than 20) all got serious game time and each of them proved they are excellent players.

What a time to be an Albion fan!
Yep, and despite the gloom merchants on here. The four players you mention were outstanding. Encisco in particular looking world class after a handful of games. Van Hecke is one heck of a player and he and Steele fit the RDZ ethos perfectly. I think Gilmour and Buonanotte will also have big seasons next year.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Think RDZ managed the resources really cleverley. The City game demonstrated how even the "weaker" starting elevens improved game to game
Which suggests they were only ‘weaker’ in the eyes of fans. The coaches are the ones who really know the players, given they work with them all week. We just watch, admire and contribute vaguely coherent (sometimes) comment whilst possessing very little actual information.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
In a way, I'm pleased that we finished 9 points out of Champ League positions. Because that is just about a big enough points difference that VAR robbery didn't effect which European competition we ended up in.....

......although it did effect our final position and a fair amount of additional wonderment and excitement......

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
In a way, I'm pleased that we finished 9 points out of Champ League positions. Because that is just about a big enough points difference that VAR robbery didn't effect which European competition we ended up in.....

......although it did effect our final position and a fair amount of additional wonderment and excitement......
I agree. One place is all it cost us in the end but we end up in the same competition as 5th. Still stinks though.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I thought Champions League was possible a few times last season with Newcastle and Man U having a few bad spells. They both finished the season strongly though, and the VAR points losses at Palace and Spurs put paid to that.
Cant complain with 6th though.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
I regret our great cup run because I think what might have been had we gone out early.Also if we hadn't been thrashed against Spurs and Palace away.We could have finished top 4.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here